1-1/2" transition in bathroom / toilet room

A friend is remodeling their bathroom and asked my opinion on whether it’s worth tearing out the 1-1/2 concrete base inside the small toilet room in order for the floor to be level with the new floor in the rest of the bathroom. If he leaves it, there will be a 1-1/2" height difference. I recommended he tear it out because it poses a trip hazard, but I also think it’s not that big of a deal an might not be worth the effort of tearing it out and possibly needing to lower the drain and/or repair the sub-floor. Any thoughts/opinions??
Thank you.

It is always best to go back to the original subfloor and start fresh.

Installing a transition strip may help.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enCA906CA906&sxsrf=ALeKk01EuF9czaJsRkc-K2eVyHiX4LPzjg:1593971815359&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=transition+strips+flooring+for+flooring+difference+in+heights&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjf_tfe17bqAhWjhOAKHcneB6QQsAR6BAgDEAE&biw=1536&bih=723

1 Like

All depends if the remodeling will cause damage to the floor, if there is a door already fitted in the opening, and what room is adjacent to the threshold. Ideally, the floors should not have a differential of more than 3/4" so just a marble threshold with a edge bevel would work. Most transitions work well up to 1/2". Anything more is a tripping hazard. What is the subfloor material in that bathroom once the concrete fill is removed? A 1/4" cement board will be required for the tile work, so you will be back up the height of the marble threshold. You need to weigh what you can do and what you can’t do and price out the material involved. Your friend will need to decide. I would not want an 1&1/2" step going in the bathroom, and I don’t think many would. Ramping up to the existing might also be an option if it is feasible.

1 Like

IMO, existing bathroom floors almost always need some kind of repairs if not a complete replacement! Now’s the time to plan and do it right, because you know what happens when you don’t!

2 Likes

Thanks Marcel. His subfloor is 3/4" OSB. I mentioned that pulling the concrete up might damage it. Good point on the door too, I didn’t think of that. The door is fitted now, so if he takes the tile/concrete out, the door will have a large gap at the bottom so that would need to be addressed. He’s putting a waterproof laminate down, so the thickness of that is pretty thin - I’d guess about 1/2". I will call him and relay all this… like you said, it’s up to him to decide.

I would recommend a vinyl flooring similar to this product here vs. a standard laminate for a bathroom.
https://metroflorusa.com/genesis.aspx
It will span dings in the subfloor with no problem and is water tight along with ease of installation. Then you would only need a standard transition at the door way, but need a new door.

2 Likes

Go ahead and be a happy homeowner and pile shit on top of shit and you will have a bigger pile of shit.

2 Likes

Haha!.. I will relay your opinion Scott, thank you.

1 Like

It’s a matter of preference really and how much work and money he wants to put in it.
A nice small quarter round or a good transition strip like someone mentioned will do the trick.
1/2 inch is not a big deal in my opinion.