11 Month Warranty-No underlayment

I had my first 11 month warranty inspection last week. The home had a combination hip and gable roof. The gable roof had the underlayment installed wrong on the eaves, under the drip edge. The hip sections of the roof didn’t have underlayment. On the way home I thought maybe I missed something due to the 107-degree heat index that day. Does anybody see something I didn’t see here?

1 Like

Be sure to point out the underlayment was missing where you lifted the shingles and most areas were covered up and not visible.

1 Like

Where are you located Joseph?

Southern Indiana

Thanks, Brian, I told the homeowner that I didn’t check every inch of the eaves and will note that in the report. Your climate is similar to what we have in Southern Indiana. Have you ever found a roof with no underlayment?

Yes I have found it and it is wrong. Call it out.

1 Like

I already told the homeowner and called it in the report. I just couldn’t believe it. I left my ladder up and checked it again at the end of the inspection to make sure. Doesn’t fit in my head what contractors do sometimes.

2 Likes

They cut corners to save money and hire the cheapest labor they can find…

As @bcawhern1 said, it’s wrong and a definite call out. Good job putting it in your report. :+1:
If you were in a more Northern climate or higher elevation, Ice + Water shield may be required for the first row of underlayment as it is in most cities around here anymore. I don’t know what the “rules” are in your neck of the woods, but you may want to research it for your own benefit since it could be different from town to town like it is here.

1 Like

Thanks, Michael,

I have researched ice/water shields. It isn’t required in my area but I used it on my roof when we (my sons and son-in-law) roofed my house this year. I have been inspecting properties for the insurance industry for 23 years, both from the field underwriting side and the claims side. I have only seen ice dam damage in 2 years, but it’s an inexpensive upgrade to a roofing job.

2 Likes