2-by T&G subfloor...how NOT to repair.

Originally Posted By: rmoore
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

[ Image: Got Nails? ]

1969 home with 2 x 5 tongue and groove subfloor spanned about 5' over 4x10 transverse beams (no joists). Repairs made to bathroom (reason unknown) with plain 2 x 4 lumber. To "make up" for the lack of the interlocking T&G they attempted to toe nail the boards. Didn't work. Tiled floor at tub flexing about 1/4" below caulk line and the tiles cracked. I'm not sure exactly how repairs should be made to this type of structure...but this wasn't it.

Owner was a plumber, and I'll admit I've never seen such neat, and overdone, plumbing. Every riser in the crawl had it's own ball-valve shut-off (in addition to the under cabinet shut-offs). Isolation valves everywhere. All piping supported by channel-iron you could hang a bus from. Pity he knew nothing about structure or roofing (another story).

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: jstevens

how about new supports under 2x4s to make a soid floor under area

Originally Posted By: rmoore

James…

Yes...personally I would have framed the area with short "ledgers" and joists (including support at the edge of the old flooring) and then glued and screwed two thicknesses of 3/4 ply over that (not 2 by 4s). I sure as heck would have made sure it was solid before laying the backerboard and tile. But that's "engineering", might not be the right solution, and is beyond my job description. I called for repairs to be made by a contractor utilizing the services of a structural engineer. The SE bit may be overkill but gotta cover the bases.

BTW...this was the other side of the added cross member (the board to the left in the first photo).
[ Image: Under the tub ] The saw cut lines up. What you're seeing is the lighter board sagging.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com