QOD for 06/13/04 (misc)

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi to all,

not realy a QOD as such, what of all is wrong in this picture ??

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Not sure but I think 2 bricks, a wood block, a sheet of plywood and a concrete block do NOT a proper beam support make. Although looking at the depth of that notch, I am not sure that’s a proper beam in the first place.

Can't really see it, but I have my doubts about that trap in the background working either.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Never give a plumber a sawzall icon_biggrin.gif

Paul

Originally Posted By: ekartal

The notched joists need to be repaired immediately (sistered).

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: psabados

With about 2/3’s of the joist already notched out and the PVC in the way. Sistering doesn’t appear to be the total solution. Additional bridging along both sides of the drain should be installed for lateral support then some sort of proper piering installed. I would reefer this back to a framing contractor and let them make the final decision

Concrete block on its side is definitely wrong, as well as the brick and plywood.

Soon the sounds of a breakfast cereal will be heard throughout the dwelling. Snap, Crackle Pop!

Paul

Counting down the days to Orlando 2005 T-minus 226 and counting!

Originally Posted By: lungar

icon_redface.gif

AMAZING-SIMPLY-AMAZING!!!

Originally Posted By: ftingle

There appears to be no insulation between the joists as well as none on the pipes.

With two piers under two adjacent joists there probably needs to be a beam perpendicular to the joists.

Theres an unsupported electrical wire in the picture.

There might not be enough vertical clearance under the joists. I’m getting clastrophobia looking at it.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Quote:
Never give a plumber a sawzall

Amen, brother, Amen ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Originally Posted By: cmarshburn

Joists that are cut like the one in the picture need to be properly headed off. Using joist hangers, same size lumber as the joist, and if more than one is cut the joists supporting the cut joists need to be doubled.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

To start, the blocks laying on their side will certainly blow up like a hand granade once too much pressure is applied to them.

Second the supports should be of like material, not going from block, to brick, to plywood to dimensional lumber.

Lastly but not least, the block should be resting on concrete footers and not the dirt floor.

The hacked joist is the least of the worries in this picture, it just needs to be properly supported. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: cmarshburn

I couldn’t disagree more. The “hacked joists” are the whole problem, you wouldn’t have those after thought piers under there if it weren’t for those joists.

If a plumber were to ever cut a joist (even notch it out slightly) the “code” inspectors would make us (as a builder)go under there and head it off like I described in the earlier post. You don’t even get to use those great piers in the picture. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: eharden

All of the above, plus no vapor barrier. icon_lol.gif

Eric Harden

First Choice Inspection Services

"That which does not kill me, makes me stronger."