2 new spots appearing in dry wall ceiling from house purchased a year ago

Great news. Mark the outline lightly with a pencil and see if it enlarges over time and check for moisture periodically. Typically moisture will have a darker ring around the perimeter as it dries. For the record…it looks like a paint anomaly to me.

1 Like

The two spots look symmetrical, maybe there was a flat spot in the texture and the builder touched it up after the ceiling was painted?

4 Likes

I don’t know if this is worth it, but the previous homeowners did tell me that the person finishing the basement was obsessed with installing ceiling flood lights everywhere. There are a ton down there. Maybe that was supposed to be a spot for one.

If the spots are indeed smoother than the rest of the ceiling, that could indicate that there was a patch to the ceiling for some reason (e.g. physical damage) and the texture or paint did not match well. It sounds like from your investigation that there is not an apparent cause of a leak from above, at least nothing active. So, I would say that there is no cause for concern and now it is just a matter of making it look decent cosmetically, i.e. re-patch, re-texture, re-paint as may be needed.