2 prong ungrounded outlets

I would be surprised if the plate was .188 (3/16) thick. Looks a lot thinner.

The NEC requires the protection to be at least 1.6 mm ( 1 ∕ 16 in.) thick unless a steel plate of lesser thickness is listed and marked for protection. I measured the thickness of a random 4" blank cover and it came in at 1.42mm.

1 Like

Now I’m very curious. Raco has a .063 and a .188. They didn’t put anything up until it was pointed out that there wasn’t nail protection.
The entire purpose of the electrical work was to upgrade the service from 60 amp to 200 and add grounded wiring. Then the electricians come and do this type of work.
They also didn’t install grounds from the nm cable to the metal junction boxes, I understand they are not required with outlets but one box contained the splices to the existing wiring in the house.
There are more issues such as boring several holes mid span in the joists in the crawlspace, boring through a girder, overfilling pvc at breaker panel etc

Where are you getting 0.25" for the plate thickness? Here’s the NEC section for reference:

300.4(A) Cables and Raceways Through Wood Members.
(1) Bored Holes. In both exposed and concealed locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is installed through bored holes in joists, rafters, or wood members, holes
shall be bored so that the edge of the hole is not less than 32 mm (1 1 ∕ 4 in.) from the nearest edge of the wood member. Where this distance cannot be maintained, the cable or race‐
way shall be protected from penetration by screws or nails by a steel plate(s) or bushing(s), at least 1.6 mm ( 1 ∕ 16 in.) thick, and of appropriate length and width installed to cover the area of
the wiring.
Exception No. 1: Steel plates shall not be required to protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.
Exception No. 2: A listed and marked steel plate less than 1.6 mm ( 1 ∕ 16 in.) thick that provides equal or better protection against nail or screw penetration shall be permitted

That is interesting you measured a cover under the .0625 minimum thickness specification.
Looks like a manufacturer is cheating some on the spec :thinking:
If I recall, only Handy Box covers could be thinner than the .0625 spec-I think .030min.?

You people are code sick. Wake up smell the roses

3 Likes

I love reading the NEC! It’s the only way I can fall asleep!

4 Likes

I don’t know where I got that. There goes my non member guest credibility. Edit

I was told that if you want something done to code state it in the contract. Work is to be done to code.
And I don’t have anything to do today.
If you are in the U.S. be sure to vote. That is my public service announcement.

I don’t either

1 Like

Do you sleep? Hell yeah!

Hi @ymartin
This is a good post that also helps me because I also live in FL.
I just inspected a 1947 home for a 4P only, and it had several two-prong outlets but it also had a three-prong outlet with an open ground. Although I am not going to report the two-prong outlets as a deficiency, I wanted to mention the existence of the ungrounded three-prong as a hazard.
Am I OK doing that and marking the Electrical section as Unsatisfactory for only than reason?
The panel is in pretty good conditions by the way.

2 Likes

As I’m sure you may have noticed by now the four point inspection is an inspection in which you will have many questions from here on out since we have no SOP to follow. What I have noticed is that unless it’s something that is specifically asked on the form each inspector will use their judgement in what to call out and how to do it, or how much to elevate. That’s just something you’ll have to do personally and know what you feel comfortable with and what you don’t. As far as ungrounded outlets I mark them as “unsafe wiring” in the electrical section.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick response buddy. I’ll keep it the way I was intending to do it then.
And what @rkenney mentioned before was evident in this home too: not enough outlets and several outlet wall extenders

1 Like

That’s what I do. Two prong outlets are not themselves a defect. A fakeie ground is a defect.

1 Like

:fist_right: :fist_left: Thank you Bryce. I appreciate your feedback

I used to find a lot of those ungrounded three-prong receptacles. And, they were not marked “no equipment ground”.

2 Likes