2 pronged outlets

Is 2 pronged outlets a defect?

1 Like

Definitely something I call out. Not a defect because it was acceptable when the house was built. It is a safety hazard and should be reported.

2 Likes

Thx a bunch for the quick response

Another call out on a home with two prong outlets is simply the limited amount of outlets. There are too few of them.

4 Likes

No, 2 pronged receptacles are not a defect. Non-grounded 3 prong receptacles are a defect and non-grounded GFCI protected receptacles without a sticker stating “no equipment ground” are also defects.

6 Likes

thx kevin, and that info would appear in the panel box correct?

What info?

stickers or breakers at the box

2-prongs are not a safety hazard, or defects, as Kevin has already stated. You may recommend an upgrade, as I do, where three prong receptacles are needed. 90% of your appliances only have two prong plugs.

2 Likes

The sticker would be on the non-grounded GFCI protected receptacles. The reason is so someone doesn’t plug in their new OLED TV (or other ground required equipment) thinking it’s a grounded receptacle but it’s not.

2 Likes

thx christopher

Thx again kevin

Thanks Robert

There may be a need for clarification of our SOP on this matter:

1 Like

So it is a defect then right?

I do not call it out as a defect unless the receptacles are in a damp/wet area or outside. I consider these a safety issue. I do not inspect for code nor is a home owner required to bring their house up to code.

You may want to mention this is a safety concern and upgrades are recommended. That might keep you out of trouble and give some good advice.

1 Like

Thank you Brian

1 Like

Not being grounded, I recommend replacing it with a grounded outlet or installing a GFCI and labeling it “no equipment ground”. But, it is not a defect, per se.

4 Likes

NO, two-prongs are NOT a defect.
Three prongs without a ground IS a defect. That is what the posted Nachi SOP is referring to.

2 Likes

Thanks Larry

1 Like