How do you write these two defects up?

First defect;
Two Prong ungrounded outlets.

Second defect;
Tester shows Hot and Neutral reversed.

Thanks in advance!!

Two-prong ungrounded receptacles are not a defect.

Hot & neutral reversed should be stated as just that - or - simply state that the receptacle is improperly wired.

Ok not a defect. Do you mention them at all? Suggest upgrade?

I will recommend upgrades only in areas where GFCI’s are required today, or in locations where large appliances may be installed (i.e. refrigerators, washers, dryers, etc.).

I mention they are there. I do it more for the customer’s general knowledge. They can leave them or have them replaced to make the outlets more convenient.

1. Depending on where you are and what home you are inspecting, yes or no.

2. Receptacle showed reverse polarity.

As far as recommending “upgrades”, in most homes that I have inspected, and I am referring to the 2-prong receptacle issue, most times there are enough defects that it won’t be an upgrade, it will be a repair done to the existing building code.

Maybe an FYI comment something like;

The home is wired mostly with 2-prong ungrounded receptacles. While common years ago and still acceptable today, the lack of a grounding conductor will limit the use of certain appliances, computers, etc. that require a ground. Dedicated circuits may have to be run to properly and safely use such appliances. You may consider having a qualified licensed electrician evaluate the wiring if this is a concern to you.

Existing (current) codes allow two-pronged receptacles.

Non-grounding type receptacles can be installed on an existing system as replacements to non-grounding type receptacles. There are no requirements to install grounding-type.

What I meant to say is that there will be deficiencies with other aspects of the electrical system that very well may require replacement of the electrical system, including the receptacles. At which point, the two-prong receptacles will be replaced.

I love it. :wink:

If you fail to mention the presence of 2-prong outlets, a client may be pretty upset with you once they move in. Better to give them an FYI upfront. Jeff is correct about their “legal” acceptability, but clients might not find them acceptable.

Generally, whenever you do see 2-prong receptacles, you won’t find as many outlets as is required by today’s standards. I tell them that also as an FYI.

That was my point. Current NEC allows two-prong receptacles to be replaced with two-prong receptacles.

There is no requirement that they be replaced with three-prong receptacles. In fact, to do so would be in violation of current requirements unless installed in accordance with NEC 406.3(D)(3)(a), (b) or ©

I am well aware of the code.
It is why I re-quoted my entire quote, the whole paragraph, not one sentence from it.

I’ll say it again:

Do you understand now?

So you’re saying that most homes with two-prong receptacles will require re-wiring of the residence? I will have to disagree.

Where did I say that?

Since you asked, out of the homes I have inspected that were built in the 50s and 40s, 3/4 of them did have to be re-wired. For numerous reasons.

On one home, the homeowners decided to rewire everything themselves. When I checked a three-prong receptacle, it showed as an open ground. So did several others. I then pulled the dead front cover, which I usually do first, but no one could get into the garage until the end of the inspection, and there was all new Romex…with every ground wire snipped off! Needless to say, no permit was pulled and when the city was called, they wanted everything opened up to see what was done. The house got rewired.

On a majority of the other homes, the wiring in the attic had been damaged by rodents or something else, the homes had 100amp or less service, fuses, etc. and it was more feasible to re-wire the home.

I am not saying, by any stretch of the imagination, that just because a home has two-prong receptacles, everything must be changed.
However, I do mention to my Clients that there is the possibility that it may have to be rewired, someday.

Unless it was a polarized receptacle, how did you determine reversed polarity on a 2 prong receptacle?

There were a half dozen or so three pronged receptacles throughout the home. Two of these showed hot and neutral to be reversed.

I was assuming that the original poster was referring to three prong receptacles.

I think the biggest problem with 2 prong outlets is non qualified professionals replacing them with 3 prong grounded type.

I would say an a day to day basis open grounded outlets is the most common defect found in a home inspection.

Personally in my own home that i purcashed 8 years ago built in 1966 I still have about 6 open grounded outlets. Every outlet in the home when I purchased was either an open ground or lacked GFCI protection.

I have had a qualified electrician out to add grounded outlets for office and Big screen TV. GFCI are in place in all required areas, Kitchen was re wired when remodeling 3 years ago.

I believe one of the open grounds I still have is on my GDO opener.

The other I can replace to 2 prong and be compliant.

I educate my clients on the branch circuit wiring as I conducte there inspection.

Now what about switches or lights that lack grounds?? Lete say the inspection is on an older home with newer fixtures (Lights). With mostly are all 2 wire system.

I know I have lights and switches throughout my house were the ground is not connected.

If they updated part of the system they should update all.