21 stories up and safe?

Developer says I am and should not bother writing up crooked glass panels that have portions not in the gasket on a balcony 21 stories high…
What say you?
[ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]

Yep ,he says they are squared and common element.
Still under developer control and boy oh boy did he.
Hate when they stand there yapping.

give the dog a bone and say shut the f up…lol

hey Bob its 1am you still workin;-)

On an outside balcony?? I don’t think there is a safety issue. The glass is secure. I saw something similar yesterday on a downtown condo. Court ordered sale.

Every day this past week.
Leaving for a 10 am on far south side in a few.

Reports average over 3 hours the way I do them,so long days.

This one will be fast except with no solid answer i may need to try and call a manufacturer.
I know the sticker said Tecno Glass but not sure if there is information that will give me a solid answer on ends not fully enclosed.
This panel is on an angle and it seems that could cause weakness in strength.

Imagine strong wind pressure.

Would like to find installation facts that there is no harm Linus.

My 10 am just got delayed ,so will post here if I find information.

Bob, is that the edge of the glass that I see not lined up with the mullion?
The sticker is still in the window which would indicate new build.

The Contractor needs to repair the glass installation, the frame installation or whatever else caused this mis-align that I see.

Don’t see enough of the window unit to know if this is storefront or curtainwall system.

Any name of the Alluminum window Manufacturer?

If it don’t look right to you, more than likely there is something wrong with the installation. People just don’t say it is wrong for the hell of it.

Tell the developer to have his Architect look at it and if he approves it, so be it.

Note;

The glazing in this Alluminum exterior window indicates that the installation was not properly executed and showing some mis-alignement with the alluminum frame. Needs to be corrected by the Glazing Contractor that was responsible for the installation.

That is a punch list item and should be corrected before acceptance of the building. :slight_smile:

Hi Marcel
This is a balcony balustrade secured by the rail cap at top and bottom rail.(open sided)

I spoke with Jeff and he has be trying to get exact install on this stuff himself.

Here is some of what I found so far since this mornings job rescheduled.

Hazard Alert – Balustrade Installation – Glass Breakage
Toughened glass used for frameless panels is a common architectural feature, in balconies of
apartments and around voids in shopping centres, for example.
A number of breakages of frameless glass in balustrades, both during construction and in
service, have been recorded where panels have received a minor impact on the edge. Due to
residual internal stresses from the manufacturing process, toughened glass panels may fail when
subjected to an edge impact load significantly lower than the panel could resist if that load were
applied to the face of the panel.

http://www.workcover.vic.gov.au/dir090/vwa/alerts.nsf/0/9CE43DDE8F898026CA256FDC0080382D?Open

Cap Rail
The cap rail is a metal handrail that rests atop the glass panels of a balustrade. It may be made of stainless steel, brass, aluminum or other metal. Cap rails are available in an array of finishes, such as satin or polished. Typically, you need a sealant or adhesive to secure the rail to the glass. Some cap rails may be bent to accommodate curved glass panels. In many locales, building codes require that the cap railings be able to bear a certain amount of weight independently of the glass to which they are attached. It is important to know and understand the building codes that apply to your project. Not all glass balustrades employ a cap rail.

Read more: Glass Balustrade Components | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6639012_glass-balustrade-components.html#ixzz0rnIa8OC2

Seems to me that it is not a balanced load anymore.

Well that picture sure looks like a window to me and not a ballustrade.
You got me confused now.
I guess I don’t see the picture right. :slight_smile:

Maybe this will help.

Ahh! That is a different picture from what I was seeing the first time.

Nothing wrong with those products that I know of Bob, and some of that glass is toughen and also laminated. Either way, they are selected by the Architects and reviewed by the engineers of record and if you see anything wrong with the alignment of the glass versus the intermediate post, then it could be an installation problem defiecency.

Remember those balconies are pitched at 1/4" per foot pitch on the ends.
There should be an inscription on the lower corners of the glass to say what it is and the Manufacturer.
The glass and the frame manufacturer are different of course.

There are a multitude of websites on glass ballustrades. :slight_smile:

So you think a air gap at the top is fine Marcel?
Yes lots of stuff ,but nothing on fit.

Just sent the report and see it is already being viewed .
Am I being a deal killer or is this language from my report OK.?

• Horizontal slider door has damaged bottom
framing
• Tempered glass panels for balcony also
referred to as the balustrade do not appear to
be installed correctly.
The glass is not squared and top edge is
showing in a few of the corners.
These panels are set into the cap rail at top
and should be centered on to the gaskets.
(see pictures)
There should be a set of plans on site to view
exact install instructions.
Unbalanced weight may cause stress on the
glass that it was not designed for but plans
and instructions from manufacturer or
Architect would need to be looked at to
determine how much of an issue this is.

Hmmm 1/4" pitch factored in.

Perhaps the gaskets need more width to cover the difference.

Bob, I looked at the top pics again, and where the gap is appears to not have a gasket. If that is the case, it was designed with that vertical tube to minimize the size of the glass and strengthen the frame that holds the glass.
Since they make frameless ballustrades, that would not surprise me it was designed that way.

It would be wrong by design were that vertical tube made to accept the glass with a gasket.

Not knowing the manufacture and intent of the design is hard.

But since this is 21 floors, can you check the 20 floors below it to see if they are all like that?

Even the floor below or next to it would answer your question. :):wink:

I concur. Marcel is always right.:wink:

Too late but just got a call to do the building next door in the morning.
Go figure.:slight_smile:

That is great Bob, you might have a crack at it again.:slight_smile: