240 ground wire at wrong bus?

Originally Posted By: srowe
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

PLEASE CONFIRM MY FINDINGS.

I came across a 240 with black/red at breaker and bare ground at a NEUTRAL bus at a SUB-PANEL. This appears to be incorrect.

Any explanations would be helpful too!!

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Shawn…

Seems to me that you already know the answer. It's wrong! As you didn't mention an insulated neutral, I assume this is for a 240 only device (EG...a water heater) as opposed to a 240/120 device such as a range. In either case, the bare grounding conductor should only be used for that (grounding) and should not be attached to the "floating" neutral bar in a "sub" panel.

How dangerous is it? During normal circumstances probably not very, but like most of the grounding/bonding system it's that one shock you are trying to avoid when enough strange things happen. Kind of like a car's air-bag. You'll never know it's hooked up wrong until you swerve to avoid the squirrel and hit the tree. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

Call for repair. It's a simple fix.

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Is this in a separate building? It might be OK.

Originally Posted By: srowe

No Greg,

This was a newer house with main at exterior and sub in the garage. Neutrals and grounds isolated except this one.

Please explain why if this was a different building that it might have been ok. Just for my education. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

With a separate building and no other metalic paths you can run a 3 wire feeder, using a common grounding/neutral bus.

Do you have a 4 wire feeder?