25 year old looking to start new career!

Originally Posted By: Shane Elswick
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am a 25 year old Kentucky resident looking to start a career in home inspection. So far I have found out that this is the best place to come and find out things. I have minimal experience in the demanding fields in which is required to be a home inspector. I drive a fedex truck! I recently took the NACHI exam and got a 67. I am really excited and want to pursue this career, but I need to know where to learn. I hope someone can direct me in the right direction. Any info on my first steps to becoming a inspector in Kentucky would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Shane Elswick

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Shane,

Why the passion (sudden?) for home inspection? While i understand you need to be passionate about what you are doing, I highly recommend you think it out if you haven’t already. Though driving a FED EX truck at 25 yrs. of age may seem like a drag, i assume you make a good living considering your age. You probably have good benefits/health insurance, etc. You can throw all that out the window if you get into home inspection. The initial training alone will set you back significant time and dollars. (loonies for our Canadian friends) You will probably be self employed and your pets will eat better than you for a few years while you stuggle to become established. Health coverage is a luxury that will take time to be able to afford after food, a roof over your head, your vehicle, insurances, etc. I would imagine that driving a FED EX truck, you would be hard pressed trying to work that job and schedule part time inspections around it initially. Home inspection is a career that takes extreme dedication. You will work many hours that you don’t get paid for. That being said, i enjoy it and am glad that i took the path i did. Just be sure you think it over. You may not know what you have until its too late. Its not all fast cars, pretty girls, and exotic locations.

Adam, A Plus

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

Shane,

Adam is right. allthough its fast women and pretty cars, and tequila ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Shane,

Hes got a point. I stand corrected…

Adam, A Plus

Originally Posted By: Shane Elswick

On the contrary! I don’t have any benefits and I make about as much as my wife–she’s a teacher! I am willing to do what it takes, I just need pointed in the right direction. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: jbehling

aslimack wrote:
Shane,
Why the passion (sudden?) for home inspection? While i understand you need to be passionate about what you are doing, I highly recommend you think it out if you haven't already. Though driving a FED EX truck at 25 yrs. of age may seem like a drag, i assume you make a good living considering your age. You probably have good benefits/health insurance, etc. You can throw all that out the window if you get into home inspection. The initial training alone will set you back significant time and dollars. (loonies for our Canadian friends) You will probably be self employed and your pets will eat better than you for a few years while you stuggle to become established. Health coverage is a luxury that will take time to be able to afford after food, a roof over your head, your vehicle, insurances, etc. I would imagine that driving a FED EX truck, you would be hard pressed trying to work that job and schedule part time inspections around it initially. Home inspection is a career that takes extreme dedication. You will work many hours that you don't get paid for. That being said, i enjoy it and am glad that i took the path i did. Just be sure you think it over. You may not know what you have until its too late. Its not all fast cars, pretty girls, and exotic locations.

Adam, A Plus

![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif) ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)

That was beautiful, we should put that on a brochure to hand out to people who want to be home inspectors, it might make them think twice.

Well said.

Brang a tear to my eye

Originally Posted By: jstewart1

Shane

If you look at the messages on this web site you will find all your answers. If you invest some time and pass the test, you can access some of the best inspectors in the business. With no previous experience in the building trades it will be tough, but if its what you want, youve come to the right place. Pass the test and invest the $289.00 and its all here. but its not all gravy. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

http://www.kreia.org/KYLicensinginfo.html

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Take the advice above.Now if you still want to do home inspection get ready to start learning and be prepared to learn the rest of your life.

Talk to your wife about this first. You will need her support as there will be some ruff times. If your still set on it then..

Find a good school to get a base of knowledge. Now find a good inspector that will help you learn.

Don't get ahead of yourself as you can get into trouble real easy in this business

Good Luck to you in whatever you decide

Originally Posted By: Tom Turner

Shane;

Let me personally invite you to our next KREIA meeting in Lexington, KY. on December 9, at 6:00 PM. You can get directions and RSVP at our web site at www.kreia.org. You will find many good and informative people at our meetings. Many of our members are also NACHI members, so you can also discuss both associations. Hope to see you at our meetings.

Tom Turner
President
Kentucky Real Estate Inspection Association

Originally Posted By: rpaul

General Contractor. Let me explain Good! One that is honest and also know building in detailed. Basically you have to find someone who can teach you something. Every time you are around someone who thinks they know something they are doing ask questions. WHY? What? How? Get some School knowledge and also basic foundational knowledge.

Along the way, meet someone who knows about marketing! Ask a lot of questions about Marketing. This is just as important as knowing about building and doing inspections. Guess what? Not all you learn in the classes will work in the field.

Third thing you will need to learn is how to document everything but don’t exaggerate. Then you have to learn how to be a person who can do a good presentation and be thorough. So when the client walks away that person is well informed. Then you will avoid most cases of a chance of a law suit and having happy customers.

Now all that sounds like 25 years worth of learning! Guess what this is a whole life time of learning. And as someone mentioned in past post, this has to be a team effort between you and your wife. Your wife is just as much of a part of this as you are. You can build it together.

Get involve and learn what your state requires of you and definitely work in the lines of the law. Then 1/4th of the challenges are over but this is along road. You did the test and know your base so build on that. One thing you can do is also go to www.Certainteed.com they have some free classes too.

if you have a Desire then set some goals and work toward them. Don’t quit your driving job until you are making more money doing this. There are other ways to learn too. I did it and built my business up working for someone else until I was comfortable. It can be done. Your only limitation is your imagination!

Rick Paul

wwww.rephomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: Senthil Puliyadi

Dear Shane,

I agree with the advice given by experienced Inspectors.

Please invest in your education thoroughly since you do not have engineering/construction background. There is no end to education in this field; you are always going to be a student.

Also, polish your marketing and presentation skills. Do a market analysis. Find out how many houses are sold in your area and also find out how many Inspectors are available. Do the math. Also, see my other postings which could be of help to you.

You can do it. All the best....

Senthil