30 amp service

I inspected a house today with a main panel (upstream of the distribution panel) which had been sealed shut by an electrical authority… so I could not open the box to examine the supply mains or the fuses.

However, the front of the box had a label that identified the maximum design amperage as 50 amps. So I have to assume that the service to the house is 30 amps. (can’t be 60)

The house has an air conditioner, electric stove, and electrical service to the detached garage.

All of the wiring is un-grounded. No knob and tube visible.

How plausible is it that the service is really 30 amps?

it’s my understanding that with less then 100amp the home would be un insurable? but from what you have in front of you , you may have found a home that fell between the cracks

Hi Bill

I suspect that the previous owner (deceased) lived in this house for the last 40+ years. So the insurer probably did not question his electrical system during the annual renewal process.

But now that it’s changing hands, it’ll come up.


Why do you say 30 Amp and not 50 Amp ??

We still have a few 50 Amp cottages in Sarnia.

Bill Mullen

Thanks Bill

I’ve never seen a 50 amp install.

Always an education.

Bill you have just widened the crack, :eek: :roll::mrgreen:

I want to see 100 Amps minimum or it simply gets deferred.

A mobile home I inspected recently had a 50 Amp main breaker. My clients negotiated for and got a new service installation.

John Kogel

70 Amp are around too!! Agents call them 100 as that is what is printed on the front.:roll:

That’s funny.

I get a lot of R/E agents and Buyers telling me that the electrical (coming into the home) is 220 Amps.

I then explain the difference between volts and amperage.

It does not appear to be a 30A service by your description, as I recall 30A services were 2-wire 120V systems, it has been a long time since I saw one mind you.

John states 50 Amp main breaker Those panels and breaker were made in Manitoba for a few years. THere are 50 AMP sevices out there.
If it less than 100 AMP service, just mention you recomend an upgrade, but advise the client an insurance company may demand an upgrade.

As per the 19th edition of the Canadian Electrical Code A 60 amp main breaker is acceptable for any house up to 861 Sq ft (80 sqM).
A 100 amp is required from 861 sq ft to 3875 Sq ft.
Above 3875 size is not listed.
If electrical heating then the size goes up to meet the heating demand.
I warn all clients when the breaker is less than 100 that the insurance co may object to less then 100 amp.
PS How is it that the insurance co can over ride the code?

State Farm Insurance doesn’t seem to have a problem with cottages that have a 50 amp service.Lot’s of them in Wasaga Beach.

They are writing a financial contract with the client and since there are holding most of the cards in this game, they call the shots. Can always go beyond code…the least we let them get away with!!!

Last year had an engineer vendor who was going to challenge the insurance industry after I found about 50-60% K&T wiring in his house.

I said it would cost from $7-10 grand to replace it and patch/paint any damaged surfaces. He had the local POCO inspect it and pass it! That really got his back up and he stated even stronger that he would fix this!!

About 3 days later the house sold for $10,000 off the previously agreed to price!!! So much for fighting some things!!

You Cant Win Them All, But Doesnt Hurt To Try.