A public plea to ASHI...

Originally Posted By: james quinn
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

mtimpani wrote:
One problem is, that a lot of guys do this as a retirement job on the side. That makes it hard for us full time guys to get our prices up. 9 out of 10 times people will go with the lesser price. A lot of retirees mentality is, I don't care about the money, I'll go out this afternoon and make $120 for a couple hours work.

BINGO !!

Originally Posted By: rcooke

When I started I looked around and put my price $25:00 higher then the highest in my area . I am still the highest and get more inspections then I want . I turned down 3 last week .

I also get usually a better class of home . Those who wish a low priced inspection frequently buy the place that takes a lot longer to inspect.

Better homes less work equals more profit .

I like it . It works for me and others who I know do it this way. Roy C sr.

Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: dharris

Good Point Mark, I recall RR making a similar post that this is also common in Ca.

Nick, that is a remark made from an inspector in a state that requires licensing, of the 1000 inspectors here apx 100 are NACHI members ,200 are ASHI members and a few are NAHI members, how do you plan on protecting us all from the 600 plus non org affiliated state certified inspectors, do you plan on bashing them like you bash ASHI and NAHI members to prove your bogus non verified qualificiations are superior to state requirments

dharris wrote:
Good Point Mark, I recall RR making a similar post that this is also common in Ca.
Nick, that is a remark made from an inspector in a state that requires licensing, of the 1000 inspectors here apx 100 are NACHI members ,200 are ASHI members and a few are NAHI members, how do you plan on protecting us all from the 600 plus non org affiliated state certified inspectors, do you plan on bashing them like you bash ASHI and NAHI members to prove your bogus non verified qualificiations are superior to state requirments

Sort of strange ( I see you are listed as a non member ) to see a non member asking how NACHI can protect him . I expect many of those who are not members will in time see how much NACHI has to offer and will do like I and many others have done . Join NACHI, they try to help all and do more for the members then any other association does.
Roy sr

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Arizona Inspectors listed on web sites:

ASHI - 165

NAHI - 30

NACHI - 137

Roy…

Quote:
I want every home inspector, ASHI members included, to earn more.

I'll do whatever I have to do.
[/quote]

John... The last membership count I heard was 197 including candidates.

Nick.... Hows that list coming? there are over 600 inspectors waiting to be recruited. 600 X 289.00 = 200,000 plus $

Originally Posted By: eporter

Help me understand how bashing ASHI is helping the NACHI credibility.

The most pathetic type of marketing is slamming your competition. It's what desperate people (or businesses) do.

The problem is that NACHI lacks credibility due to the lunatic rantings of Nick Gromicko.

Like them or not, ASHI is the standard of the industry. (I am not a member.) If you don't like what they do, DON'T JOIN.

Nick, I thought you were stepping down from NACHI? Hell, if you could shut your pie hole for 10 seconds, and step away from NACHI, I know a lot of people that would join (or re-join) NACHI. That includes me.

--
------------------------------------------------
"Inspecting this home like I'm buying it myself."

Ed Porter
Cornerstone Home Inspection Services, Inc.
Grand Haven, MI

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Dan, your point about protecting ourselves against inspectors who are not members of any association is a valid concern but I’ll bury them alive with the internet. Don’t worry about them. As an ASHI member, just help me get NACHI’s and ASHI’s application requirements up and the rest will fall into place. Together we can get our prices up to where they should be.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

"… I say “it ain’t bashin if its true.” ASHI makes its own policies and they deserve to be bashed (if true). Are you saying that they are not true? Here, I’ll list them for you again:

--ASHI must end their disgusting public policy of letting in these Come with only Cash Candidates into our industry!

--ASHI must end their disgusting public policy of having NO application requirements!

--ASHI must end their disgusting policy of encouraging their NO qualifications whatsoever Candidates to work for poor unsuspecting consumers in order to gain full membership!

--ASHI must end their disgusting policy of encouraging their desperate for numbers Candidates to cut their prices and our throats in order to get their inspections in!

--ASHI must end their disgusting policy of basing ASHI logo usage and full membership on the number of unqualified inspections their applicants have done!

Bashing is when you state generalities like "ASHI has no creidibility because of pathetic rantings of a lunatic" or some such nonsense. Yes, I agree with you.. that is bashing. That isn't what I'm doing. I'm only pointing out specific facts about ASHI that are applying a price-cutting pressure to our entire industry and demanding that ASHI stop and catch up to NACHI.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

jbowman wrote:
Arizona Inspectors listed on web sites:

ASHI - 165

NAHI - 30

NACHI - 137

John, as the ED of NACHI are you aware that of the 137 NACHI Certified inspectors that are listed as certified and are marketed to the realtors as not being blind,

19 are not listed as AZ State certified, on the current BTR site

2 members are listed as inactive

2 members license's have expired

Hmm, Per the NACHI site, NACHI protects customers from uncertified inspectors???

gromicko wrote:
Dan, your point about protecting ourselves against inspectors who are not members of any association is a valid concern but I'll bury them alive with the internet. Don't worry about them. As an ASHI member, just help me get NACHI's and ASHI's application requirements up and the rest will fall into place. Together we can get our prices up to where they should be.

![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) Yea right Nick... I'm not helping you do --------[fill in the blank].
I'm committed to helping new ASHI members meet the high ASHI enforced membership requirements and requirements that ASHI expects of it's members that earned the privilege to market the ASHI logo, the logo that 1,000s of other professional inspectors before me worked hard to earn the reputation that ASHI members have, and will continue to have long after your gone.

You may think new ASHI candidate members are the source of low fees, I feel one major source is many new inspectors that are not ASHI members and do not attend ASHI sponsored seminars are not aware of how much value they provide their customers when providing a professional and informed property evaluation to ASHI requirments.

With that said, I am always good for my word, when you provide a list of the 1800 ASHI members that you stated joined NACHI and paid NACHI membership dues in the past year, [ May 2004-May 2005] as I stated I will resign from ASHI and start a NACHI chapter here.

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Quote:
John, as the ED of NACHI are you aware that of the 137 NACHI Certified inspectors that are listed as certified and are marketed to the realtors as not being blind,

19 are not listed as AZ State certified, on the current BTR site

2 members are listed as inactive

2 members license's have expired

Dan,

Just to make sure we are talking apples-apples.

I did a quick 5 minute search of the Phoenix area and found two inspectors from ASHI's website that are not listed on the state roster. I also found one with an expired license.

That was with about 5 minutes work. I am sure there are many others.

So I think that argument can be safely disposed of.

Do I agree that ASHI bashing is the way to go? No way. I know too many ASHI inspectors that I respect to head down that path. But let's not hint at any sinister motives on having membership lists that don't match state rolls.

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Hi. Guys, hope you are all fine;

Mark and James, I kind of resent your statement that semi-retired or working on a clientele for retirement affects the one's doing this as a full-time job.

I have been in high commercial jobs all my life, and believe, that one day, I will wake up and say to my self, no more concrete today.

Building a clientele for home inspections for me in the next few years, is a way of saying 40 years of this Construction Stuff is enough. And believe me, I will actually charge $25 to $35 more than local Inspectors in the area. If the consumer does not want to pay for my experience, I do not want the job, so you can have it at the lower price and cheap check box report.

I agree with Roy C. that the higher price is the way to go.

Have a good day to you all.

Marcel

Right on!

You can't make the contention that you are the best inspector in town if your pricing conflicts with that contention.

Keep your prices up!

http://www.nachi.org/convert.htm

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I am retired and I charge $350:00 and up seldom do I have a week where I have not charged more . I was asked how much for a home I asked my usual questions and said $650:00. I was told he had one that would do it for $350:00 . I later found out some one did it for less. I just picked up a flyer offering to do home inspections for $100:00 . The reason on the flyer is he wants to get his 250 inspections done so he can become an RHI in OAHI . I will be very surprised if he lasts one year .

I will sit home before I under cut what I feel I am worth . Want the best inspection and education possible then Roy"s is it .

Work less make more money sound good try it .

Roy Sr

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Originally Posted By: mcyr

icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif icon_smile.gif

Right on Roy,

Could not agree with you more.

Marcel

Originally Posted By: Gilbert Strachan

rcooke wrote:
When I started I looked around and put my price $25:00 higher then the highest in my area . I am still the highest and get more inspections then I want .

So... you're charging $375 + GST now? Didn't think so.

rcooke wrote:
I turned down 3 last week .

Sure you did! And Nick's angels pay for NACHI, right?

rcooke wrote:
I also get usually a better class of home . Those who wish a low priced inspection frequently buy the place that takes a lot longer to inspect.
Better homes less work equals more profit .
I like it . It works for me and others who I know do it this way. Roy C sr.

Here's the number to beat... go for it. You know you can do it.
http://www.electrospec.ca/svc.main.htm

Congratulations Gil so glad you have Raised your prices to $350:00.

You are worth it.

I wonder will some of the others now raise theirs too.

When are you coming back to NACHI we need you .

Roy Sr

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

Originally Posted By: rwand

Boy with a price like that Gil will be able to shop at Winners! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Do they even sell polyester at Winners?

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

--
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905

http://www.raymondwand.ca
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (R.H.I.)

Originally Posted By: Gilbert Strachan

Aside from the obvious, there are two discrete differences between ASHI and NACHI…

1. ASHI may not make the same fantastic (outlandish, actually) offerings as NACHI, however ASHI does actually deliver upon what it promises.

2. ASHI pays its bills.