Advice for a new guy.

It seems to me there is more than a wealth worth of information in this site for someone wanting to start doing home inspection. So my question is why would someone pay $1000 dollars or more to get it else where? I am missing something in the fine print. Is there any advantage to a more expensive program? I have a back ground in construction (residential and commercial carpentry).

Don’t believe your own eyes. Truth be told, this is only a 5-page website. We just make it look impressive with spin, spin, spin. :wink:

:roll: I’ve seen that mentioned once or twice…Spin spin spin! Good One Nick

[QUOTE]

Where is this $1000 place at?

ahit.com ( american home inspector training) and a program through Kaplan who offers training for everything but astronauts. I really just like to be good at what I do and it seems this association has alot to offer, and alot of people willing to stand behind each other.

you wont make it unless you change your name, Ellis.

Ellis,
If your thinking of doing some type of online course like ahit, dont waste your money. The on great thing about Nachi is if you jon all the imformation you will need is available to be able to meet you state requirements. (if they have them in MI).

The message board is helpful but you will have a select few that will tell you why it can’t be done or how your sucess will not make it past the first year of business according to the numbers. If you want to be sucessful, then just apply yourself and don’t worry about those who would advise otherwise.

All the tools you need to start your inspection business are available here, so jump in and ask all the dumb questions you need to.

Also if you want it, it will be tough, so don’t give up.

Do the best ,Join the best
The rest is up to you
I am poet and don’t know it .
Good luck Ellis work hard and gather all the information you can

The InterNACHI forum was priceless in helping me get started and without it I probably would not have even taken that first step. I spent hours here reading and asking for help. I decided to receive formal training for a couple reasons but the help here was, and still is, worth more than I paid for that training.

Ellis,

Take all the coarses here, join Nachi TV, work on your week points. Find someone who will allow you to do some inspections with them(outside you area) Study and ask questions when ever you need to. Many here will pick on you for asking dumb questions but do it anyway.

Remember it takes more than construction knowledge to succeed in this business. You need business knowledge, superior customer service skills, presentation skills, a good salesman and a marketing guru, to name a few. If you are not willing to work hard even when you do not have to do not even start. If you are willing to work on all those skill set constantly, just do it, it is rewarding.

Hope that helps

Ellis, To say NACHI is the best deal out there is an understatement. There is a wealth of information here and the knowledge of its members is limitless. Follow the courses and its schedule and it will get your mind in the learning mode. If you use the tools Nick has assembled here your chances of survival are better than average. The Inspectors that use this board regularly are helpful. Although sometimes not for the thin skinned I believe it make us all better. Good luck with your decision and welcome to NACHI in advance.

I paid $1300 for my classes and they took me almost 2 months. They are required by the state. I have taken many of the courses here and they are very good. The difference is there is no guy standing up in front of the room talking here. They tell you things that are not in the course. You can find allot of that advice here in the message boards. You have to filter through some of the threads because there is allot of unrelated chatter.

Here are some of the things I learned in class that wasn’t in the books. When your inspecting your a generalist not an expert. Your not being paid to be the expert so forget what you did before. Don’t cite codes or use the word code if you can help it. Call it as you see it. Don’t touch peoples stuff. If you can’t see it, get to it, you can’t inspect it. Put that in your report and take pictures. Take lots of pictures and save them. You don’t have to put them all in the report. When the furniture is gone, art work comes down and rugs get rolled up the house could be swiss cheese and your the first one they are going to call. The pics are CYA. Don’t walk on a roof unless you have to and know about that roofing type. If you go on it make sure it’s not going to damage you or the roof because you will pay for both. Don’t turn on any utilities, don’t fix anything, and don’t let the agent talk you into something. That’s how it’s done here. Your area may be different but this advice is to lower your liability.

At first, it’s like watching my sons wrestle each other. If you’ve never seen it before, you’d think they are trying to kill each other. They aren’t, they love each other.

InterNACHI members fighting with each other on the message board are similar. In the end, we’re still brothers.

Nick your quote Iron sharpens iron says it all:D

John I think you hit the nail on the head, and saved me a ton of writing…:cool:

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I look forward to asking lots of dumb questions, and keeping you guys posted on what’s happening in this crazy adventure. Waiting right now to hear back from insurance agent about e&o and liabilty.

Plans succeed through good counsel;don’t go to war without wise advice. proverbs 20:18

I like nails!!! LOL

Just not “Nail Pops”…LOL:cool: