I performed an inspection last September on a vacant rural home. At first glance the house looked okay. But upon going into the basement I noticed some unusual things. There was a lot of moisture staining around the perimeter of the basement and quite a bit of cracking of the finished walls. I ran all the plumbing in the home and had no water backing up anywhere. I commented on what I saw but couldn’t locate the source of the water. When I met with the guy I made special mention of the foundation and moisture concerns.
Well, this week I got a call from the guy who bought the house. He said that they’ve been having plumbing issues where the water doesn’t drain properly and backs up into the basement. He called in a guy to clean the drain and found that it is cracked and dropped about 8 feet from the house and causing a restriction and backing up into the drain tile. The roto rooter guy went beyond his expertise and said it would cost $30,000 to dig up the line to repair it and suggested to the buyer that I was “legally responsible” for the repair. When he called I went over my Report and noted how many times in the various areas of the house I had mentioned the water issues and also that I can’t inspect anything I can’t see. Clearly underground pipes are out of the scope of the inspection. The water didn’t back up for me because the water hadn’t been used for months.
I would strongly caution to clearly mark the areas that you can’t see in your Report and don’t take any signs of moisture lightly.