Advice for Roof Condition

Hello! I’ve examined the roof, and it appears to be in poor condition. The bank lender has requested an estimate of the remaining lifespan of the roof, which I usually don’t provide aside from the standard shingle life expectancy. The seller’s agent claims that the roof was replaced in 2015 for this 1959 home. Based on these photos, do you have any additional recommendations to include in the report?

Roofing is CURRENTLY failing.
Budget for replacement before rainy season begins (next week in my area)!!

Don’t care when it was supposedly replaced, it is due for replacement now! If it’s only 8 years old, Seller should use the warranty to have it taken care of before transfer of ownership!!

6 Likes

I would recommend having the roof replaced. And for the seller & seller’s agent to stop lying.

10 Likes

Obviously that roof is shot. We can tell that even from your ground-level pictures. But on a related note, I think you run the risk of missing roof issues on future inspections without at least getting up on a ladder at the eaves.

13 Likes

Is there any justifiable reason you did not get on that roof and take some really good close up pictures, that would help you prove the roof is shot?

3 Likes

Getting on a roof like that is just setting yourself up for paying to have it replaced. The shingles are going to completely crumble when stepped on. It did not leak until the inspector got on the roof. It still had a couple more years left before it needed replaced.

5 Likes

Personally I would have definitely got on a ladder and took some photos from the top down. Not looking up from the ground at that little house

6 Likes

In need of replacement.

4 Likes

If I saw a roof like that from the ground, I would have got my extension ladder and at least inspected it closer.

It looks like a ranch! Lazy. I’d never post those crappy pictures in a report.

9 Likes

The roof looks like it is covered in chocolate bars.

3 Likes

As others have stated the pictures are not very good. I agree not wanting to walk on a roof with the shingles in that condition. You should at least put a ladder up and get some good pictures. If you don’t want to or have a ladder to use I suggest getting yourself a camera pole. With a camera pole you will get better pictures that you can put in your report that will be self explanatory to the condition of the roof shingles.

1 Like

The roof has failed. While there may not be any visible leaks at time of inspection, the roofing materials have failed. Replace the roof. Crappy pics. At least get some shots from the ladder looking down.

3 Likes

Those look like organic-core shingles as opposed to the more common asphalt -core. They expand when they fail due to water absorption. The whole concept of this type of shingle is slightly more ill-advised than wood composite siding. As the others have said, that roof is trashed.

Fwiw, there are definitely some leaks in that attic and likely some mold but some of the gray residue and drip marks look to be from the decking being used as concrete forms. That was VERY common in my area and is very often the root of an inspector incorrectly calling things.

3 Likes

'nuff said right there. It’s toast…

Again, 'nuff said… When I blow these up on the laptop, I can’t even tell what I’m looking at. Get a ladder or camera pole next time,please and thank you.

Pre or Post consumption??? A little of both maybe… :laughing:

5 Likes

The roof materials were heavily damaged and were beyond their useful life.

1 Like

These appear to be 3 tab shingles of the organic nature, it these were replaced in 2015 the roofing co. would have documentation. I have had homeowners flat out lie about the roofing material age, I’ve also had people who think it was 10 or so years. Most cases they are wrong. I worked in the lumber industry for years and I can tell you 3 tab shingles are a special order now and have been for at least 15 years. They are more expensive as a special order. These shingles are ready for replacement. No doubt.

“The Seller claimed that the roof was replaced in 2015. Without documentation, I was unable to confirm. Please check with the Seller for additional information.”

Does it really matter? The roof needs replacing!

3 Likes

That roof is done and as a Licensed Mold Assessor I’d call out that there is a “mold like substance” in the attic do not say it’s mold unless you are licensed.
PS always get close up photos I would never walk a roof like that unless you want to break some shingles.

The roofing shingles are at the end of their serviceable lifespans and in need of removal and replacement at this time, it is unknown what condition the roof sheathing is in at this time, that will be determined once shingles are removed. There appears to be some type of organic growth on the underside of the roof sheathing as visible in the attic as partially pictured. Have a licensed MOLD remediation company, reevaluate for type and remediation options and costs.
Good move not walking on that roof or they would have tried to make you pay for a new one. Budget for a drone they are very handy in those situations.