AFCI not a GFCI on jetted tub

ok???

or should it be a GFCI breaker?

No other protection installed, this breaker stopped the jets…

3 Mar 09 085.jpg

Should have a GFCI somewhere, were you able to check under the tub or in the crawlspace for one? Sometimes they hide an outlet above the floor insulation in the crawl.

Also, don’t think you can have both AF and GF on the same circuit.

Agreed…

Completely tiled in surround. No GFCI only type on any wall surface of the bathroom, fully elevated drywalled beneath the sub floors. And it functioned to disconnect the tub jets.

I’m thinking they should have used a GFCI (req’d) but used an AFCI breaker instead.:roll:

3 Mar 09 094.jpg

But doesn’t, and I think they thought this was “protection too” :shock:

Those are plugged in and there should be an access panel.
Fault may lie with the decorator,not the Electrician.

Must admit I never saw a circuit with both though.

There’s no reason you can’t have both, but GFCI protection is required - regardless.

Michael, did the bath have a separate toilet room? Electricians are known to place hydro-therapy tub GFCI’s there if there is no easy under tub access, at least around here they do.

Same here, or sometimes in the master closet. And always behind a bathrobe or something else.

Sometimes you just can’t confirm a GFCI. Then, I say this:

“We could not confirm that the hydro-spa is equipped with ground fault protection, which is an important safety feature that should be verified as being present or added. Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) receptacles have been required for spa tubs since 1987.”

Just fill with water and throw in a toaster.
See if it trips.

OUCH…glad I did not say that…lol

Interesting thread. I just found a AFCI on a jacuzzi tup circuit today on my afternoon inspection. I could not locate a GFCI breaker anywhere.

Kevin

I’ve seen them use AFCI’s on exterior outlets. Old school electricians I guess…“if it’s newer, it’s better”.

I always find them in the master closet BUT in a couple instances with the large tile surround tubs, there is a single tile at the motor end that is held in place by strong magnets. The installer will supply a special suction handle to remove the tile with. You have to look real close at the space between the tiles. If there is no grout or you can see the seam, it is in back of the tile.

That motor has to be accessible without doing damage to the building structure or buliding finish.

Hi William, I always recommend that an acces hatch be installed if one is not present.

But is an access hatch REQUIRED???

2006 IRC says:

I simply recommend that an access cover be cut-in to the underside cavity of the jacuzzi tub (preferably from inside the closet wall), then the power supply to the jet motor can be tested.

tough to do on a slab, side wall is better