2 GFCI questions

Hi,

This bathtub has air jets. The pump runs on its own circuit, but just a regular 15 amp breaker. I assume it needs to be GFCI protected.
Could the gfci protection be anywhere else, ie. behind the tub panel perhaps? Anyone seen that before?

Also, for 2nd picture, these kitchen receptacles, with the extra notch, they are rated for 20 amps, is that correct? They also were on regular circuit breakers and not gfci protected breakers.

1 and a half year old 500K home.

Thanks for feedback guys,

Paul-Marc

IMG.jpg

IMG_1909.JPG

IMG_1911.JPG

sgdgfdgfg

Within the last few years, when doing new homes with whirlpool tubs, I have found the GFCI for it out in the garage but placed high up on the wall instead of down where it can be easily accessed like the normal GFCIs found in garages. Do not know if this practice is used in Canada.

Howdy,

I believe Mr. King has addressed your conditions but I ( as always ) will elaborate on specific things. In your first question, you are correct in that it should be protected by a GFCI circuit ( NEC 680.71 ). The receptacle if and electrical equipment for the hydromassage bathtub must be accessible without damaging the structure or surface. If it is tiled and removing the access would damage the tile then nope...not allowed.

Now sad to say it is not until the 2008 NEC that we are clear that an individual branch circuit must be run to this type of tub which would make the location of the GFCI simple. Either it is at the panel in the form of a breaker or at the tub itself. Under the 2005 NEC it does not spell out the fact it is a individual circuit but we kinda get their with the loading issues of 210.23 in previous versions but again i digress.

In regards to the 20A receptacles on the kitchen counter area, indeed they need to be GFCI protected and if not it is wrong and I am shocked a local municipal would miss something like that. If my guys missed that and I went behind them as their supervisor I would be very upset.

Only if within 1 m (39.25 in.) of the sink and only after January 1/ 03, Rule 26-700(12) .

Different country, different rules.

Hope this help,

Should have been posted in the Canada section then…:wink:

Thank you Paul, Marcel and Bruce! I am surprised as well as all other locations needing GFCI protection had the proper receptacles. Perhaps I missed something, we’ll see. I only saw the AFCI breakers at the main panel for the bedrooms, no GFCI breakers.

Now, perhaps these outlets are downstream of a GFCI receptacle elsewhere? They did have their own breakers though…

I suppose they are not quite within 1m of the sink, but still very close (within 2m).

Thanks again,

Paul-Marc

I use this pretty often: “We could not confirm that the hydro-spa is equipped with ground fault protection, which is an important safety feature that should be verified as being present or added. Ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) receptacles have been required for spa tubs since 1987.”

That’s a good one, thanks.

Paul-Marc

Paul, Marcel was correct. If you do not have it go to Home Depot and buy the Electrical Code Simplified book, it breaks down the Electrical safety Code and is a must have for a Home Inspector in my opinion. I believe it was only about $18.00, and yes there needs to be a GFCI for the whirlpool tub somewhere I find them behind the access panel many times.

Thanks Jerry, I’ll have a look at that book. I didn’t want to remove the front panel for the tub for fear of damaging the finish, but suggested that it might be there indeed.

Thanks,

Paul-Marc