GFCI Question

Came across this GFCI today, I have never seen one like this, Was in bathroom next to light switch but separated from usual GFCI Outlet, I could not figure out what circuit it was protecting. Only possibility I came to was for spa tub, test button worked ok, I know someone has seen these before and will shed some light on me. Thanks

Dead front - blank face GFCI used to protect motor powered devices such as the spa tub you described or a fan - light combo in the shower ceiling.

Why didn’t you check to see if it was for the jetted tub?

Did you try the spa tub after shutting off (testing) the GFCI?

No, went on about my way inspecting the rest of bathroom then tub and just plain forgot about it until I got home to write report.

That has to be what it was for, as everything else did not trip when I tested.

Thank you all who replied.

Either that, or it was defective!

Correctly put.:neutral:

You should start seeing more of these devices when the bathroom contains a hydromassage tub. That’s because the NEC was changed to require that all GFCI devices be readily accessible for testing. That means that putting the device behind the access panel for the tub does not meet the definition of readily accessible so you should find the GFCI protection elsewhere, like a blank front device or a circuit breaker.

Robert… curious when that change became effective? I still find them behind the (fastened) access panel or even in the basement next to the distribution panel, in homes only a few years old.

The change occurred under the 2011 NEC.

This change also affects GFCI receptacles installed on garage ceilings for garage door openers that cannot be tested from the floor.

I do not see how an access panel is not readily accessible.

Is this “readily accessible”?

If it cannot be seen is it readily accessible? Behind a panel is accessible, but not readily. Some of those panel are screwed in so that would remove them as readily. Even the snap in access panels need a screwdriver to pry the tabs.

I agree. The one in my post was a PIA to open. The homeowner even had to search for a ‘short’ stubby screwdriver as mine was “too long” and hit the toilet! :wink:

nope

Requires tools to access.

Exactly.

Perhaps I am reading your post #11 incorrectly due to your use of double negatives, but to me it seems you are contradicting yourself.

I have seen a number of access panel that do not require tools.

So are they “readily accessible”? Maybe;-)

In any case I see little reason to call this issue out for most installations I encounter.

I have had some with no access and no GFCI in sight. Those I call out.:smiley: