AFCI Outlets

Why are AFCI outlets recomended for bedrooms and not for all outlets?

As of the 2008 code cycle they are for all 15 and 20 A outlets.

The idea was to protect sleeping rooms first in the 2002 and expanded in 2005 NEC.

Actually, the 2008 NEC was revised to include all other outlets. Not including those areas that are protected by GFI’s (Baths, Kitchens, Unfinished basements, etc).
So if the town has adopted the 2008 code and the house was built under that code cycle, then hallways, living rooms, family rooms, dining rooms, fronch rooms (for those in Chicago) should be AFCI protected. Or if the house underwent a major electrical rewire under the terms I previously mentioned.

Jeff

I guess I type too slow…
What Mike said.

Jeff

It was from memory the first time but here is a helpful link to understand the timing of the AFCI requirements.

Not all areas adopted the 2002 and 2005 AFCI requirements.

In my state (WI) they didn’t require AFCIs until the 2008 cycle.

I hope they fix them first. I’ve been doing a lot of vacant houses lately and demonstrating the AFCI for my clients. It is amazing how many have not been resetting. And these weren’t the ones on the Square D recall.

Thanks guys - I haven’t seen any afci outlets here - just the occasional afci breaker. I guess my question really was why just bedrooms? Is it that people would be less likely to notice arcing/fire when asleep?

The outlets require AFCI protection. This is accomplished by using an AFCI breaker to protect the circuit.

The bedroom outlets were just the “testing grounds” while developing this technology.

I have found that there are some that need to remain in the “off” position for several seconds before resetting.

Me too, but some of these I waited several minutes and still no power.

Thanks for your reply Jeff

Long Island is very slow to adopt new codes. I saw some afci breakers in new construction last year, but lately I haven’t come across any.