AFCI

Originally Posted By: jmyers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Has anyone taken notice the supply house(s) are now supplying the AFCI breakers that are going to save the world in their bedrooms. Just happened to notice today when I took a visit to the local HD here.

And for that single pole protection of your life it will cost you $29 plus tax, give or take a few cents. I could not believe they are coming in cheaper than the GFCI breakers.

Any thought?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Joe,

At least the price is coming down already. Two years ago I bought one for a new subpanel I installed upstairs. Paid over $40 at a supply house. It was the only one they had; bought it right off the display. A Cutler Hammer BR series. The local AHJ looked at it for the final approval inspection and said what the heck is aAFCI ?!

BTW - It's recommended to space them apart in the panel to dissipate the heat they give off. They definitely do feel warm to the touch.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Deleted

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Joe H,

Since you installed them in your own home I would have to assume you are a believer.

I am still wondering to myself why they would want the lighting circuits and smoke detectors that are located in the bedroom space on the AFCI circuit as it seems to me if the circuit did trip from an arc fault you would be left in the dark. Not good in my book if you need to make an emergency exit. Smoke detectors I can understand, they have a battery backup but the lights seems it has to potential to do more harm than good.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Robert Patterson

Until they work the problems out of AFCI’s and come up with a reliable test instrument, I will not inspect them. Troubleshooting these things are time consuming and a pain in the butt.

Bob

Bob,

What problems?

When you say tester, do you mean this kind of tester?

http://www.arcfaulttester.com/

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Deleted

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Joe H.

I was curious to what Bob knows that I don't. I know the tester you are talking about I have seen them. I think it was in the professional equipment catalog or some reasonable facsimile.

Joe Myers

Many people are having a lot of problems with the AFCI testors, several recalls, inaccuracies, etc. Go to the sparky’s forums and read, bring breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can troubleshoot 'em, but they take time and patience. But, IMHO there is no good, reliable tester out yet (other than a paperclip bent in a “U” icon_eek.gif )

Bob

Bob,

Hey if the paperclip works I say use it. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) Just make sure you have your rubber gloves on, or the insulated pliers to hold it!

Since I was replacing the electric panel in my house I was gonna do the AFCI in the bedrooms. You know with all those rats running around this house I figured I don't have too but what the heck, three of them are so da** stupid they would probably try the paperclip without knowing it is AFCI protected.

BTW...I think there is still some knob and tube up there somewhere. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Have you had a chance to check out the AFCI tester that I posted? Have you ever used that one?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi Guys,

There is a good site regarding AFCI testing and problems with

it.

Check it out at www.ul.com/regulators/arci/

Carla

Joe,

Haven't used that one, I'm too cheap. However, a friend has and he says it doesn't appear all that accurate, don't have any facts, just his opinion.

Carla,
I trust UL like I trust Congress and the Homeland Security bunch to look out for my interests and protect my rights. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Bob

Bob,

Yeh, me too. I think the paperclip is an absolutely great tester given the current set of options. Maybe we should bend them in a "U" ourselves, slap a piece of rubber on them and sell them for $99 each. We could be rich by the end of the year. Maybe after a while when we start moving up in the world we could start using maybe coat hanger wire or something stronger and longer lasting. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) HA

Joe Myers

What would be the allowable radius of the bend per the NEC? icon_confused.gif

Bob

Bob,

Ummm....who cares! We are in this for the money remember. We are not breaking the rules, just bending them a little! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers