AFCI Breaker recommendations.... All Circuits and the NEC

Hey Guys,
I posted this in another thread, but wanted to make sure everyone viewed it here… Are you guys recommending AFCI Breakers for all required locations, i.e bedrooms, (2008 year locations: living rooms, dining rooms, all rooms non-GFCI protected) ?

Just curous…
Let me know
Justin

I am sure that realtors, new home buyers, etc. it is going to take some time before everyone is used to the recommendation… (i.e. GFCI recommendations are widely known)

I always recommend them.
I explain what they do during the inspection.

No.

I recommend life and safety upgrades like smoke detectors, and GFCI’s, but not AFCI’s. AFCI’s don’t save lives they save buildings. I might as well as recommend fully sprinklered homes and steel construction.

I feel a flame war coming on and I have asbestos briefs on. :wink:

If it is important enough to be in present code it is worth a mention.
Due -Diligence

First I am a fan of AFCI’s. I upgraded my own panel(1993) to cover my bedrooms. Now that I’m OK with them(don’t trip with fluorescent lights and a vacuum cleaner), I will be upgrading to combination types, and expanding coverage to all 15/20amp circuits. I ensure I mention about improvements in the construction and share my story about upgrading my panel, I do not put that in the report. Now with that said…

“Due -Diligence”

Where does it end? I don’t do code inspections, and I don’t base my report on them. I have a disclaimer that although safe building practices mentioned in my report might have been adopted by construction codes, I do not do code inspections. Now that said, again where does it end?

You recommended AFCI upgrades, but do you recommend ground rods when you don’t find one? If you do, do you recommend ohm checks just incase the house settled after initial install? When the plasma TV fries because you forgot to mention it, do you replace sensitive electronics? How about any pre-1986 homes? Do you recommend upgrading to non-lead based solder? On and On and On.

See how this question can open a can of worms with my spew, where do I stop? A good lawyer would do the same to you. You recommended this because of codes, here is your report, but failed to mention this, and that, etc.

I smell too much liablity… :wink:

Tom

I never worry about liability.
I do worry about my clients which is why I do not worry about liability.
Here I will show you what I put in my report and circuit interupter section.
GFCI helps to protect you against shock and AFCI helps to protect against fire.
Does not go in the summry
What does it hurt to add that simple sentence.

I applaud you Robert, although I think you are quite alone in this.

Just a note to possibly help you in the future.
GFIs do NOT protect against shock, they protect against electrocution.
You’ll still get a shock, you’ll just not die from it.

Though I am not an HI, this is my feeling on it.

Where do you stop…? You can recommend “safety” upgrades all day, even on a brand new house. There IS such a thing as safe enough. Although the #@%* lawyers and insurance folks will disagree with me.
I personally choose not to live in a padded room with no sharp edges. I know, this is my personal opinion, I just feel the need to give it.

I applaud you Robert, although I think you are quite alone in this.

Just a note to possibly help you in the future.
GFIs do NOT protect against shock, they protect against electrocution.
You’ll still get a shock, you’ll just not die from it.

Please read the first two sentences concerning a GFCI.

See this Video:

Split Second Safety

I read this as you requested.

What does it have to do with this AFCI topic?

I don’t know John.
Mr. Tedesco looses me at times.:wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by relliott
GFCI helps to protect you against shock and AFCI helps to protect against fire.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showpost.php?p=344266&postcount=7

AFCI’S

%between%

This is yet another attempt of Joe’s to prove me wrong at something. He loves that.
I’m not sure what I said that was so terrible.

GFIs do not prevent shock. Not always at least. They prevent electrocution and injurious shocks.

The CPSC seems to be a reliable source, ain’t that right ** :mrgreen: **

I was about to comment that in Illinois we have to report lack of AFCI, but after reading the IL SOP, I’m not so sure…

emphasis mine

Comments?

FWIW, I do try to educate clients about AFCI and suggest they put them in as an additional safety measure.

Hi sparkys
I know this but , for my reports I like to be basic for clients.
I add tech stuff in a different section.
A recepticle is also an outlet to most people.
I explain , do not go over anyones head to make my self seem intelligent.
It helps protect against death inducing shock, but I am an inspector that educates in laymans terms. Joe:) you Listening:):):slight_smile:

Rick , You can recommend …code or no code.

Yes, I am here and would recommend that you use both terrms.

Receptacle.

A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug.

A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke.

A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

Receptacle Outlet.

An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed. :wink:

Give me a break Joe. I have been on your extensive hit list for a long time now.

How is one not supposed to take something personally when you quoted them directly?
Tell me then, WHAT was the purpose of that post with the link to that little newsleter, and quote me directly? What did I write that was incorrect?