How can you tell the date (age) on split system units. FCU and condenser.
I know some are by the serial number. Is there a web site for the different manufactures to use, Rheem, Rudd,Carrier etc.

The best resource I’ve found is the Technical Reference Guide. I keep a link to it at About Homes.

You know…when I saw the Title for this thread as “AGE”…amazing how RRAY came to mind…he is OLD I think…thehehehehehe

He is!

51 years, 4 months, 22 days, 10 hours, 8 minutes.

And at the BNI meeting Thursday morning, where I picked up two referral inspections–a 4-unit apartment building and an 1800-SF house–one of the members got up and said that I knew what I was talking about. Never in my life had anyone told me or anyone else that I knew what I was talking about. I had to consult with Ms Margarita and Dr Cuervo to determine how to go on with my life. :margarit:

You need to get a copy of Preston’s Guide. It lists all of the various gas/oil furnaces, heat pumps, and air conditioners by manufacturer. It will show BTU and SEER/EER ratings as well as the year of manufacture.

Not cheap. Hard copy version is $95, CD is $175. There is also a online subscription version for annual fee of $165. You can check it out on www.prestonguide.com.

Don’t rely on Preston’s Guide alone. It is known to have quite a few errors in it. A better guide is the Technical Reference Guide with costs $69. If the TRG wasn’t so good, I would probably splurge for the higher-cost Preston’s Guide.