American Home Inspectors Training Institute

Originally Posted By: Terry Porter
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Has anyone had any experience with this particular company? I have been seriously considering entering the HI field, but am just now starting to do my research on education.

BTW, I am a resident of Texas, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: rwashington

What part of the state are you in? Not familiar with AHIT but am familiar w/Leonard Hawes.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

I’m in the DFW area and the University of Texas at Arlington runs their continuing education program through this institution. I believe you can take courses at the college, but this program also offers a correspondence version.

Since I am currently employed full time, the correspondence version was appealing.

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Sorry, I really cannot be of much help to you since I am in the Houston area. Some other guys here are from DFW it just may take a day or so for them to respond about educ. The best thing you can do is get with a seasoned inspector and ride around for a while before, during, or after your classes. I realize that is hard if you are working FT. I learned so much more, probably 75% of my training, outside of class. Best to you.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Thanks for the reply. It always helps to have some advice, no matter what. Its somewhat trying when deciding to change careers, but I believe I’m making the right choice.

Originally Posted By: jpope

Very good training facility!! Second only to ITA icon_wink.gif

Jeff Pope

JPI Home Inspection Service

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: tallen

I just recieved a bunch of ITA’S training stuff. There is no doubt that AZ Suntech is superior to the ITA classes. I did not attend either class I am just going by there reading material. So it is only MHO

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Originally Posted By: Matthew Lewis

Joining this thread with my own question.

I am also looking for a top notch training program. I will be inspecting in the eastern PA region. Do training programs such as AZ Suntech or ITA, located in the SW provide adequate exposure to construction methods/practices/materials/etc. utilized in the NE? Is there a better program for those in this part of the country?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: chorne

Hi Terry,

I completed course study with AHITI (Wisc.) and I am very

pleased with their program.

I would highly recommend it.

That was in 98 but I imagine they are still as reputable now.

Carla

tallen wrote:
I just recieved a bunch of ITA'S training stuff. There is no doubt that AZ Suntech is far superior to the ITA classes. I did not attend either class I am just going by there reading material. So it is MHO

If you are planning to attend ITA, I'm sure you'll come out with a much different opinion. I'll bite my tongue until then ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: dharris

I’m a product of both schools , ITA home study and 2 cont. ed courses, and the 160 Hr Sun Tech Class room course

As a PT instructor at Sun Tech I may be biased towards Az`SunTech but both offer a excellent starting back ground

The biggest Plus I found with Sun Tech was and still is the opportunity to contact Allan or his other instructors on there mobile phone while on the inspection site if any questions arise during a inspection.

I think the most important item to consider is The experience of the Instructor not only in the field but more importantly His or Her ability to communicate in the class room
Allen, Kevin and Tony, The Sun Tech Trainers that I know in my opinion top other instructors

Both schools offer field training, Sun Tech includes up to 30 insp or more with there complete course, and I believe [ based on 4 years ago] ITA offers a limited # with the option to acquire more thru a inspector in your area

At times there are posts on this board offering the ITA home study course for resale, Nothing is better than class room hands on training, but from my experience, Definitely a good inexpensive staring point,and reference material prior to completing a class room course

As far as course study with regional items you may get a edge with a local school thru field inspections but from my experience The course matter is addressed to cover all regions

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi to all,

For what it's worth, here's my take on the AHIT materials, I have been teaching using them as core course books for 2 years and can say that I think them terrible, they lack scope, are very over priced and the quality of the photo's leaves much to be desired, having said that I have not been on a course with one of their instructors, and if they are good and can fill in the gaps then the course maybe OK.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: Kenneth Sitzes

Hi,

I'm a AHIT Cerft. They are all in class training when I took it we had only 3hrs. of field training I though we should of got more field training for the price. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

is that this is the most effective means of education/training available to prospective inspectors.

My experience is that ITA and AHIT trained inspectors (at least in CA) are considered to be highly qualified. Many of the larger inspection companies insist on training through one of these facilities and insurance companies such as FREA and Allen, give policies to new inspectors at rates equal to the veterans policies.

I believe that a much better measure of the quality of a course and/or facility, is not in the reading materials, but rather the means and effectiveness in the delivery of education and training, coupled with the continued support offered after the completion of the training.

I have the direct phone numbers to Mitch Sudy, Doug Hansen and Joe Z. in my cell phone. These three professionals are considered to be top notch in their respective fields and answered many of my questions during my first couple months in the field.

Okay, I'm done ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: bemelander

I attended the AHIT training about three years ago. I agree with Gerry their books and pictures are not the best but the class room presentation was great.

It was only 6 days 10-12 hours a day but we did get some hands on.

2 half day field trips and several hours in their facility.

I thought the AHIT training was great for starting my business.

Also I do get a good rate on my E&O with Allen Ins because of my training.

Bill

--
Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dbowers

If you’re on the West Coast, I’d go with ITA over AHIT, and AZ SunTech is better than both (But at Allan Blakers Age - He Must be pushing 80 or so by his pictures - so you don’t know how long he can keep going). East coast is another story - I’d try NIBI in New Jersey. In the SE go with ITA’s Mark Cramer in Tampa. In the Midwest fly with PITI in Kansas City. In Texas go with the NEW ITA (used to be Leonard Hawes - Yuk, Yuk).