American Integrity and No wind mits?

lmfao!

2001 Florida Building Code: 1606.1.4 Protection of openings. In windborne debris regions, exterior glazing that receives positive pressure in the lower 60 feet (18.3 m) in buildings shall be assumed to be openings unless such glazing is impact resistant or protected with an impact resistant covering meeting the requirements of SSTD 12, ASTM E 1886 and ASTM E 1996, or Miami-Dade PA 201, 202 and 203 referenced therein as follows:

1. Glazed openings located within 30 feet (9.1 m) of grade shall meet the requirements of the Large Missile Test.
  2. Glazed openings located more than 30 feet (9.1 m) above grade shall meet the provisions of the Small Missile Test.
  3. Storage sheds that are not designed for human habitation and that have a floor area of 720 square feet or less are not required to comply with the mandatory windborne debris impact standards of this Code.

For the last time, PLEASE, stop giving inspectors false information.

And there lies the problems. It is even worse when you have to deal with a plain ole office employee of the insurance company.

Best advice for them is clam up and send it to the underwriter :slight_smile:

For the above regions, the FBC provided clear guidance on design considerations
in the windborne debris regions. Buildings in the windborne
debris region were required to protect glazed openings (windows and
doors) to ensure that the building envelope would remain “enclosed.”
To achieve the criteria of “enclosed building” shutters, laminated glass
or solid doors were required to be installed.

And again, where did you get that, and when was it written/enacted?

For the above regions, the FBC provided clear guidance on design considerations
in the windborne debris regions. Buildings in the windborne
debris region were required to protect glazed openings (windows and
doors) to ensure that the building envelope would remain “enclosed.”
To achieve the criteria of “enclosed building” shutters, laminated glass
or solid doors were required to be installed.

But wait there is more…

Underwriting guidelines are approved by the OIR… NOT the FLBC or CILB.

Who are completely useless. There should be some investigation or something on them. They are supposed to Regulate the insurance companies but it sure seems the other way around :frowning:

So would the carrier have any liability giving full FBC credits if the home
is a repo auction flip & the shutters in the garage were stolen? heh heh

This stupid crap again.???
I have a wind mit for a brand new home Friday. State farm wants it. Why? guess because they want one, and its their choice.

Don’t you guys have some panel to condemn for paint overspray??

The only reason an “underwriter” would ever think they can overrule an inspectors report is because guys like you let them. The “guidelines” you speak of are actually set forth by the software designers. They are Architects and Engineers, not underwriters. I should know, I have reviewed it with them. It allows for a myriad of information across many different variables with wind mitigation inspections. Including but not limited to:

1. Damaged wall claddings
  2. Aged/deteriorated roof coverings
  3. 9 different roof shape classifications
  4. 7 different roof to wall connection variables
  5. Damaged roof structure
  6. Updated mitigation features (gable bracing/shutters)
  7. Non-compliance with build code (code violations)

One of the variables is the code cycle to which the structure was built, it automatically inserts the variable for design and mitigation features based on the permit date. Even though the information for design is already inserted, and inspection is needed to determine proper installation and code compliance. This is why an insurer would not require an 1802 on a structure built on or after 3/02 using YOUR guidelines. For example, this is also why a structure built outside of the HVHZ gets the same credit for impact protection as a structure built outside of the HVHZ that does not have impact protection over the non-glazed openings.

As for roof shape, what difference does it make it the roof structure is already design to resist the applicable wind pressures? If gable or low-slope roof structures are deficient, why are we still designing and building them? As I have said, the software automatically inserts a variable for code cycle, and it’s applicable to the roof geometry……it doesn’t even come in to play. Like I said, I have reviewed it with the software designers.

You have made the inspector and inspection useless and unwarranted as the information you provide can be attained by the underwriter or a half-witted homeowner. Shutters can be verified with a picture and permit, even on an existing structure. How hard is that? Keep doing what you’re doing and we will lose the form for good. The writing is on the wall, and you have been warned….

The “underwriting guidelines” come from the software the insurers are using to input the information from the 1802. It’s based off of the building code and designed by Architects and Engineers, not underwriters…

…I should know, I have it.

Nope, the panel is newer than 1967…:cool:

The following lists are provided by the software developers, Architects/Engineers, for use with the 1802. They ARE NOT “underwriter guidelines” as John likes to call them:

One of the following values to describe the shape of the roof of the building at this location:

• Unknown/default (0)
• Flat (1)
• Gable end without bracing (2)
• Hip (3)
• Complex (4)
• Stepped (5)
• Shed (6)
• Mansard (7)
• Gable end with bracing (8)
• Pyramid (9)
• Gambrel (10)

The geometry of the roof affects the intensity of wind pressures and the resulting uplift resistance.

One of the following values to describe the type of connections used to secure the roof support system to the walls of the building at this location:

• Unknown/default (0)
• Hurricane Ties (1)
• Nails/Screws (2)
• Anchor bolts (3)
• Gravity/friction (4)
• Adhesive epoxy (5)
• Structurally Connected (6)
• Clips (7)

Roof anchorage establishes a load path to transfer wind loads from the roof to the walls. Hurricane straps provide such an anchorage.

One of the following values to describe the type of connections used to secure the roof covering to the roof deck of the building at this location:

• Unknown/default (0)
• Screws (1)
• Nails/staples (2)
• Adhesive/epoxy (3)
• Mortar (4)

Damage to the roof can result due to the improper attachment of the roof covering to the underlying roof deck.

One of the following general qualitative descriptions of the condition of the building at this location, based on visual inspection of the building cladding and maintenance:

• Unknown/default (0)
• Average (1)
• Good (2)
• Poor (3)

The external appearance of cladding and maintenance gives a qualitative estimate of expected performance.

For earthquakes: Buildings with signs of distress or duress, such as cracking due to aging and ground settlement or overloading or cracking due to damage from previous earthquakes, are likely to experience additional damage during an earthquake.

For hurricanes: Buildings with signs of distress or duress are likely to experience additional damage during a tropical cyclone. Some examples of these signs are an aging roof, exterior walls, or cladding; loose roof tiles or chimney damage; or damage from previous tropical cyclones.

What about all the houses that were built to FBC where the shutters are no longer at the home? This is funny. If you dont deal with wind mitigations that much or at all, I would say ypur “facts” may actually be lacking factual information.

Homeowners doing their own wm, lmao. Many people don’t clean their own house, wash their own car, heck they even hire a guy to hang pictures or replace batteries in smike detectors.

I am sure Rob has already replied (our responses take a long time to appear) but in case he hasnt:

2001 FBC: §1606.1.4 Protection of openings. In windborne debris regions, exterior glazing that receives positive pressure in the lower 60 feet (18.3 m) in buildings shall be assumed to be openings unless such glazing is impact resistant or protected with an impact resistant covering meeting the requirements of SSTD 12, ASTM E 1886 and ASTM E 1996, or Miami-Dade PA 201, 202 and 203 referenced therein as follows:

1. Glazed openings located within 30 feet (9.1 m) of grade shall meet the requirements of the Large Missile Test.

2. Glazed openings located more than 30 feet (9.1 m) above grade shall meet the provisions of the Small Missile Test.

Arguement does not hold water. There are many people that do all of those things. Many people have to have work done to their cars, but dont go to mechanics because they can do it themselves.Many could do this themselves, and from what I can see would do a better job than many licnesed insepctors.

Just out of curiosity, do you count all shutter panels to make sure that every window will be fully porteted, or do you just take a picture of them in the garage to show that they are there?

You say that like its a bad thing. :lol:

You guys crack me up. fortunately I have a real business to run and dont really have time for this. I have no need for the nonsense. Cant wait until the internet bullies end up as an “expert witness” in court against another home inspector.

Thank you. You just answered my questions by not anserwing my quesion. What you call nonsense other call education. I do not think anyone is bullying anyone by trying to have a discussion and giving answers