Amish Barn Builders

Found this photo online. I would be curious how long it took with that many people.

I don’t see any safety ropes, guess replacement workers are standing onsite just out of the photo.

4 Likes

OSHA would love that.

4 Likes

A day. Little time is available to people who work from sunup to sundown.

Safety is a state of mind. Caution is greater in workers who don’t rely on harnesses. Show me a high rise steel worker with a harness.

3 Likes

This guy :smiley: :smiley:

5 Likes
7 Likes

The Amish communities around here (in SW Ohio) live by their own rules, and from all I’ve seen they are very hard workers who take pride in their work and believe in quality workmanship.

6 Likes

I enjoy seeing them ride up/down our road with the horses and wagons, kids walking miles to school with their lunch boxes in hand. Before we bought a sawmill, I would go get lumber from them. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

OSHA has no jurisdiction.

That wasn’t the point, unsafe is unsafe jurisdiction or not.

3 Likes

Think what you will. You’ve never been tied to a roof with several other guys. Experienced roofers will tell you, “more accidents occur with the roof tie off rules.” Safety is always relative. More bureaucrats suffer fatal heart attacks from the relative safety of their desks than roofers do from falls.

1 Like

My four-man errr (four sperm producing persons) crew built a one room house with plumbing and electricity for this guy who had his home condemned (he was a hoarder) in about six hours, start to finish. The county inspector had organized the whole thing and stood there approving it as we went. We did it gratis as a favor to the inspector. Some cynic might say we did it for free, cuz you never want the AHJ not liking you. Some cynic might be right.

3 Likes

It’s usually the old loggerheads who are months from retirement that don’t want to comply with the “new” safety regulations and end up disabled or dead.

To each his own, although some safety regulations have gotten out of control, fall protection where a fall might end up in death isn’t one of them.

3 Likes

Not sure you could fall more than 6’ before another worker breaks your fall.

4 Likes

The mortality rate of iron workers was the highest of all building trades, and they would be lucky to go 10 years without a serious or fatal injury. At the end of the 1900s, the International Union of Ironworkers would emerge from concern for safety on the job and the lack of protection for workers.

From: Construction Site Safety: Then and Now - Pucuda Leading Edge

5 Likes

Omish dont need no stinking rope!

Did these two not get the memo about the dress code?

2 Likes

Illegals on the work site. See it all the time… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

You know how you can tell? Footprints on the spot a pot seat.

now that is funny !!!

2 Likes