Ancient service entry

Here’s one I inspected today. I’m interested to know how would you write this up?

Hi Brian, I have a great idea. Since you were the one there & paid to provide HI services, tell us what you reported & then we can help by offering our opinions about anything else we notice from your pictures and/or elaborate on your narratives.

15 Likes

Welcome to our forum, Brian!..Enjoy! :smile:

Maybe you could tell us some of what you see to write up and we can go from there.

3 Likes

Why don’t you just say “I have no idea what I’m looking at and I don’t want to take the time to learn”.

5 Likes

Yes! Great idea! :+1:

3 Likes

Well - at least the transformer was outside of the panel - Step 1. There are clearly issues all over - List the out and recommend an update

Hi Brian,
It has been 16 hours since your post & I assume you have sent your report to your client by now. What did you report?

What did you not report may be a more appropriate question. We are here to help you but not enable…

2 Likes

Run into Crouse Hinds every now and then. Remember, the OCPD are ‘case molded’ breakers. So this is not an antique panel.

Crouse Hinds electric panel board. Note ampacity. Likely 100 Amp.
AC/Armored Cable.
2 conductors terminate on the same breaker screw.
Mixed breakers. Don’t think those GE are acceptable replacement breakers. Typically/usually Murry or Siemens, but from what I read Siemens is retiring Murry line.
Cloth jacket circuits. Suspect (1) AL conductor. Mixed conductor material double tapped under the same terminal screw.
Lack of panel cable bushings.
Recommend review prior purchase followed by an upgrade by a licensed electrical contractor.
That should suffice.

3 Likes

Note the crack mortar in the manufactured ashlar foundation stones near the mast entrance.
Likely require a full electrical update from the PoCo termination including all equipment and cables downstream.

With old equipment, note several defects and recommendations.
You will get it as you do more inspections.

A little bit… … …

Did you report mixed brand breakers?
Let us hear from you!

1 Like

Tinned copper, not aluminum. Aluminum would have plastic insulation.

Correct that the GE is not acceptable. Siemens is not an appropriate replacement. Eaton bought out cutler hammer and eaton breakers use the same design. Eaton is the proper replacement.

1 Like

Morning, Jim. Not necessarily. I’ve had this discussion twice or more times. Aluminum came in cloth jacket prior plastic sheathing. I have personally documented Cloth covered AL on 2 inspections in various AWG’s.
I had literature, unfortunately it was lost in my PC during a hard drive crash. When I get some spare time I will retrieve it.

Morning, Michael. Hard to follow all the changes in low voltage panel boards and OCPD’s.
The Murray brand will be phased out and replaced by equal Siemens.
Crouse-Hinds bought Murray, after Cooper Industries bought Crouse-Hinds and the line was sold to Siemens. They restored the Murray name, so a Murray breaker is OEM.

I concur, Eaton bought out Cutler Hammer, but the panel board in question is Crouse Hinds that the OP thought was Ancient so I guess that would make me antique by date.

jacket/sheathing is not the same as wire insulation.

1 Like

That is for sure, Simon.

Did you report the lack of circuit grounds? …must be MIA

1 Like

The spruce
In nonmetallic sheathed cable (NM) now purchased used for residential and commercial wiring, the outer sheathing color indicates the wire gauge or size and amperage rating of the wire within. However, older installed cable may not have this color coding.

Robert focus…

Yes. Cloth wiring. Outdated. Cloth used instead of plastic to insulate and protect electrical conductors.