Ancillary Services Opinions needed and appreciated

Originally Posted By: osmith
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Im just staring out and I think not haveing ancillary services puts me at a disadvantage, Any suggestions on what service I should conquer first?

Thanks,

Oscar

Originally Posted By: rhinck

I know that you will read that Radon work is not profitable but I have found it to be. Prior I was always asked if I provided radon measurements and had to say no. It is as easy to sell as anything. When I get a call I simply ask if they want radon included. Many times even if thay have decided not to have a measurement take on their proposal with the realtor, by simply asking at the inspection generates conversation and they say for the peace of mind go ahead and include it. I always have moniters and paperwork with me so I don’t waste a trip. I even say that if we set the moniter today while I’m hear I will discount the fee by $25. That’s my 2 cents.

Rick

Thanks Rick!

Originally Posted By: kdolin

hey there, If you are just starting out and dont have the experiance with some of these other services, why dont you subcontract them out and mark them up, make a deal with the septic inspector he bills you a discounted rate for increased volume you mark up the service a small percentage for handleing that gives you an op to market servcies that you dont actually preform, then you can gain experiance and cut out the sub.

Originally Posted By: Gary Van Florcke

If you can handle the beating you are going to get on this BB, Go for Mold Inspection. We did 43 analysis today for one of our regular Condo customers. We also do Home Inspections for them, but mold has tripled our business.

Guys,

Great ideas! This helps a lot by giving me short term and long term options.
Having this membership and access to your wisdom and experience is turning out to be more than I ever imagined.

I'll keep you guys posted,

Oscar

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Gary Van Florcke wrote:
If you can handle the beating you are going to get on this BB, Go for Mold Inspection. We did 43 analysis today for one of our regular Condo customers. We also do Home Inspections for them, but mold has tripled our business.

Gary:

How do you report the lab results?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: lkage

jhagarty wrote:

Gary:

How do you report the lab results?

Joe:

Can you give some pros and cons of mold lab results reporting?

PS: Sorry I missed you at the convention.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

you make the recommendation for Testing and take samples, and After you receive the Lab results, How do you report those findings?

-Send the Lab report without explanation?
-Send a cover letter along summarizing results?
-Are there any recommendations made?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: lkage

jhagarty wrote:
Larry:

My question was not to debate whether or not to do testing. If a situation is encountered that warrants Testing, the recommendation for further evaluation and testing should be made.

My question is After you make the recommendation for Testing and take samples, and After you receive the Lab results, How do you report those findings?

-Send the Lab report without explanation?
-Send a cover letter along summarizing results?
-Are there any recommendations made?

Joe:

I understood that but maybe I wasn't clear.

Do you have any pros and cons of how to report the lab result findings?

Originally Posted By: pdacey

kdolin wrote:
make a deal with the septic inspector he bills you a discounted rate for increased volume you mark up the service a small percentage

Be careful in doing this. In TX we have to disclose to the client anything that would be considered compensation for doing business with other contractors.

--
Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com