Another BC Idea

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/politician+moves+scrap+controversial+grow+bylaw/4135411/story.html

B.C. politician moves to scrap controversial grow-op bylaw
By Sam Cooper, Postmedia NewsJanuary 19, 2011

Stacy Gowanlock holds the $5,200 inspection fee for unusually high electricity usage in his backyard near his hot tub and swimming pool in Mission on Saturday, November 6, 2010. The City of Mission suspected he had a grow-op in his home because of his high electricity consumption which he says was due to the faulty wiring of his hot tub. The city not finding anything sent him the safety inspection bill. That policy is now under fire.

****Photograph by: Les Bazso, PNG

VANCOUVER — A controversial bylaw that gives authorities in Mission, B.C., the power to fine homeowners for the cost of searching their properties for marijuana grow ops — even if police find nothing — is under attack on two fronts.

A Mission municipal councillor is seeking to rescind the bylaw, and 74 residents have reportedly joined to file a class-action lawsuit against the district.

As the Vancouver Province reported recently, a number of Mission residents have complained that their homes were searched for pot grow ops and they were slapped with fees and repair orders costing upward of $10,000 — all on questionable evidence.

On Tuesday, Coun. Jenny Stevens asked that a motion to rescind the bylaw be considered by Mission council on Monday.

“I’ve become increasingly concerned about the bylaw to the point I’m saying . . . are the negative consequences outweighing the benefits?” said Stevens.

“If (dissent) is getting this vociferous, you need to look at the beginning of the problem, which is this bylaw.”

On Tuesday evening, more than 100 bylaw critics attended an emotional meeting in Mission’s library to air concerns, said Mission resident Stacy Gowanlock.

Gowanlock — who said his house was searched in 2009 and hit with thousands in fees and repair orders despite the fact that he’d never grown marijuana in his home — said 74 citizens at the meeting signed onto the class-action lawsuit he is leading.

In mid-December, B.C Civil Liberties Association’s Micheal Vonn led a delegation to Mission’s council, warning grounds for a class-action suit are strong, and searches are “putting innocent people under horrible duress.”

On Wednesday Vonn said the BCCLA intends to join the class-action suit — a statement of claim is being drafted, and it is expected to be filed soon.

“Our opinion is, fining people for imaginary grow ops does nothing to increase safety in Mission,” she said.
© Copyright © The Province

What does this have to do with the HI industry? Is this your way of saying BC HI licensing is bad or poor? What a sad commentary on how you view the world and how you try to skew reality to your views! Are you hearing a lot of “valid” complaints about the BC HI licensing?

“Electricity use versus billing” is a monitoring technique used by POCO’s across the land to find out who may be stealing electricity from them. Most of the power theft is by grow-op operators

From another CBC story 2004 stats from the conservative/right Fraser Institute:
“The value of B.C.'s underground marijuana industry has never been accurately measured, but one study by the Fraser Institute in 2004 put the estimated 17,500 grow operations in the $7 billion range.”

All of this is untaxed and bigger operations are run by organized crime…is this what you want going on in your backyard?

BTW, the courts have already ruled against this practice in another case. So our democracy/freedoms and court systems are working!! That’s the good thing!

"What does this have to do with the HI industry? Is this your way of saying BC HI licensing is bad or poor? What a sad commentary on how you view the world and how you try to skew reality to your views! Are you hearing a lot of “valid” complaints about the BC HI licensing?"

Wow, Brian. You have some psychological issues. This was an interesting article on the abuse of power. Your accusations say more about you than you should make public.

I know about the real issues and in the end, it is being fought, but your buddy did not lable the thread for what it was…Abuse of Power… but definitely had The THREE I’s- INFERENCE, INSINUATION, INNUENDO- working again with his thread title “Another BC Idea”. The only time I’ve heard him talk of BC is in regard to the HI regulations…what does the title infer to you?

I see you’re using The THREE I’s against myself. You are now a psychologist…please give me the analysis rather than inferring and insinuating something…one of your worst traits!!

Got to love the non members that come on our message board and tell us how to use our own board.

Complain to the master…or Roy!!

So strange is Brian he just has to have something to complain about .
I wonder why he did not say bad things about me when I posted about all the Floods our East coast Provinces had.
.I love Brian he is an expert on every thing about how Bad Nick is and how NACHI is not doing things the way Brian feels they should .
Can you just imagine what It would be like In Canada if we had a Brian M as our leader .

Long Live King Brian

Brian

Since when did topics have to revolve around home inspections? If you look through this board you will see that there are many topics which are not home inspection related.

You are just cruising looking for an arguement that you cannot argue.

Ok everybody.
Just back away slowly.
Nobody make any sudden moves.
Let the people who are trained to do it, get the long sleeved jacket on brian.
Everything is going to be ok . . . . . . :roll:

Roy:
This was a colossal screw up by BC and the police on the innocents involved… so it was definitely a bad **idea **that appears will be corrected by BC courts.

Your title of the thread is “Another BC Idea”…It is a bad idea…you set the tone with the article and the name of the thread. What was the other BAD BC idea that was mentioned earlier?

No matter what is posted Brian thinks he is the better idea , Well Brian you can just keep on complaining about many things that are posted on the NACHI site I am sure it makes you feel good to come into our home and show your far superior then many members who post here .
I am glad NACHI and its members make you feel great… all the best .

Long Live The King

Your title of the thread is “Another BC Idea”…It is a bad idea…you set the tone with the article and the name of the thread. What was the other BAD BC idea that was mentioned earlier?

](http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&topic=190573&gonew=1)http://forums.cannabisculture.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&topic=190573&gonew=1

What was the other BAD BC idea that was mentioned earlier?

Looks like your two amigos will back you in ANY event…that’s priceless!

I see Brain is still blowing his own horn . He must not like anbody , going by his comments . ;):D:D

We would all be happy if he took a long walk off a short wharf.

Or a short Pier Vern. :mrgreen::twisted:

I don’t mind Brian’s commentaries.

They are for most parts accurate and educative.

Cheers,

"I don’t mind Brian’s commentaries."

Figures… :roll: :smiley: :wink:

Good one