Another FPE

Originally Posted By: jpeck
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

jpope wrote:
What say you about the absence of the grounding and neutral bus bars?

Neutral terminal bar, and neutral conductor must be in there. I did not address that (from your later post) because you recommended the panel for replacement anyway, and the new panel will (okay, should be) installed correctly, meaning the neutral will be in the neutral terminal bar in the same enclosure.

I should have commented the above before, though.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jpeck

roconnor wrote:
If you associate that with a certain manufacturer, yes it's a huge deal. But, by itself I dont agree it would be a "safety hazard" that requires evaluation/repair by a licensed professional right away.

IMHO it's not really that down is "on", it's how the breakers read in that upside down position ... energized/on would read "NO" ... ![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif) ... It is a concern that should be noted, and explained to your client that the upside down breakers will read "NO" when in the energized/on position. And if it's an FPE panel, that's just one more reason to red flag it ...

Robert,

While I cannot state that no other manufacture has not made panels like this, I can state that the only ones I've ever seen were FPE. Maybe (but cannot say for sure) they were the only manufacturer to do this?

Regarding the 'on' down. I take that as a big problem. Then again, I've only seen FPEs made with that sideways configuration, which just confirms the need for replacement.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

I do not know when this went in the code but in general you can not mount breaker enclosures sideways and in the times that you can On must be up. icon_wink.gif

Quote:
240.33 Vertical Position.
Enclosures for overcurrent devices shall be mounted in a vertical position unless that is shown to be impracticable. Circuit breaker enclosures shall be permitted to be installed horizontally where the circuit breaker is installed in accordance with 240.81. Listed busway plug-in units shall be permitted to be mounted in orientations corresponding to the busway mounting position.

Bob

--
Bob (AKA iwire)
ECN Discussion Forums
Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: roconnor

Jerry … there were several manufacturers that made panels around that time where some breakers were energized/on in the down position … which was allowed at the time. Then the code changed in 1985 to prohibit that. I think Doug Hansen wrote an article about that … I will see if I can dig it up … icon_wink.gif

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: cberthoud

I attended the electrical inspection seminar in Baltimore yesterday and there were some in attendance that did not kow what a FPE panel looked like.

[img]http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/FPE 13.jpg[/img

Originally Posted By: Bob Badger

Never mind icon_redface.gif

Bob (AKA iwire)

ECN Discussion Forums

Mike Holt Code Forum

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Chuck:

I reduced the image you posted because it was too large and would not load.

I will also look through my archives and see if I have more images to add to the discussion related to this product.

![](upload://xDTtmbyYxjxB8hphL9ZTuv1dmgf.jpeg)

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm