Another recepticle tester anomaly

Had this today and left me scratching my head. Plugged tester in and looked good.

Pushed the test button on receptacle and got this:

Not sure if I have a call out or just a glitch or something else all together… When I used the same tester in another bathroom on the same circuit, downstream of the GFCI, pushed test button on tester, it read “000 volts” “Open Hot”, just a dead circuit. Plugged the tester into the tripped GFCI before resetting and got the Red light, “30 volts, Open Ground Neutral” again. First time I have seen this when testing a GFCI. Ideas? Please and thanks.

Doesn’t it say the fault right there on the tester?

I see OPEN GRD NEU

What happened when you pushed the test button on the receptacle, Michael?

1 Like

All you need to say is that it is mis-wired. You don’t give enough information for a diagnosis. When something like this occurs with a GFCI you need to test it with the built in test button. The self test button is the only approved (by manufacturer) test method.

Another case where a wiggy would be a better test instrument. First you verify proper wiring with the solenoid tester (wiggy - requires you to think) then you trip the GFCI with the self-test button.

KNOPP

@rkenney @lkage I did use the built in test button on the recepticle and fault showed afterwards. Normally I see this after tripping

Which is what the other bathroom showed that was on the the same circuit. I have read about “gost currents” and false readings but not sure if this was one of those cases.
I am calling it out as faulty wiring. Just trying to wrap my head around what the reading is so if I see it again in the future.

The only way to know for sure is to examine the wiring in the wall. I would only recommend doing this if it is your house or you’re doing the inspection alone.

1 Like

I hear ya. This was a brand new modular, pre closing. The whole place was messed up. LOL. I think the transporters found the roughest roads from the manufacturing plant to deliver it. :laughing:

We got some of those Klein testers a few months ago and switched back to three light ones for the most part. Besides the annoyance of having to turn it on and reset it, they generate way to many ambiguous readings. They look neat but don’t really add additional functionality and slow down work flow. Three light testers have their limitations but there is something to be said for keeping it simple.

1 Like

I would report what you see and refer it out to a qualified electrician, then.

That, too. I am not familiar with the Klein testers.