Any idea what this is?

This is just above the shut-off for the water supply to the house. It appears to be a sort of saddle valve or something. I’ve never seen anything like this before.

P1000880.JPG

Looks like one of those, advertised on TV, magnet gimmicks.

I’m not positive but it appears to be magnetic water softener. I ran across one a few years ago and it looked vaguely familiar. I do not know much about them except the theory is the calcium and lime in the water remains suspended and therefor prevents corrosion.

Not sure but worth looking into,

John

I guess I don’t watch enough TV! What are they supposedly for? I’ve heard of magnet bracelets for wrist pain, but how much pain could the water supply possibly be in? :mrgreen:

Someone else just posted about this recently, I believe - Whereatzmeezdontzknow

**Built with the…Most Effective…Strongest…Rare Earth Neodymium Magnets !
[size=3][size=2]EPOXY[/size] coating for maximum corrosion resistance. ** [/size] A very easy do-it yourself installation project that takes very little time & with no pipe cutting!
“Hydro-Soft” magnetic water softener no salt water treatment devices will not give you that slimy feeling in the shower that you get from a salt based water softener.
“Hydro-Soft” magnetic water softener no salt water treatment device is powered by high tech…high energy shielded neodymium magnetic fields and the flow of the water through your pipes. Not electricity!
The “Hydro-Soft” magnetic water softener no salt water treatment devices are effective on city and well water alike.

http://www.magnet4less.com/product_info.php?products_id=698&osCsid=a83d0f7e93eeb685b145f39747faa213

So how do you get rid of the contaminants it attracts is my question.

Thanks Bob, that’s probably what this is. I’ll let the client figure out what to do with it.

It’s magic Bob, or is it just snake oil?

It does not appear to be sealed properly to contain snake oil! :|.)

But Wait! if you call in the next 15 minutes we will double your order and for saying you saw it here on TV at 2:00 AM…we will send you the amazing fujisoma pillow…or a set of Ginzu knives. (just pay postage and handling of $469.00…)

Frig, and I thought it was the up button for the elevator! :twisted: :shock:

Wasn’t there a recall on them?:wink:

I’m trying to finish a report tonight and the customer asked what this is. I know its an exspansion tank but why is it place here right after the meter?

632 Willow St. Scranton PA 496.jpg

Because it wouldn’t work if it was on the other side of the meter.

Are you lost?

what are you taking about

Thanks read a little more about it appreciate ya getting me right direction. I’m tired cant focus right now

Wondered the same thing…maybe you’d take the magnet off the pipe every month or two and let the water run for a few minutes to flush the line ? Just a WAG. :neutral: