Anyone do snow plowing?

The Hummingbirds in the mountains left for the south in August, much earlier than normal. When I saw that, I started building a new plow truck. Just got it finished.

well lets see it then…

Yes, let’s see the beautiful brute. :slight_smile:

Hope it is better than this one I used to drive when I was 19 with the Old Man. 75 miles of road in Northern Maine.

file0009_sml.jpg:slight_smile:

A friend of mine said that he saw 3 caterpillars with wide middle stripes and said that that means a mild winter…however the local weather people are predicting a slightly worse than normal winter.

I guess we will see. I also heard the one about the squirrels nest.

It’s a funny story.

I had new wheels and 10-ply (yes, 10-ply) tires that I ordered put on the truck the day I bought it. The work work was done by 4 Wheel Parts (remember their name, that’s the funny part of the story), the folks I ordered the wheels and tires from. Off I went up into the Rocky Mountains in my new Ford work truck with new tires. It’s a private mining road so I have smoke rollin’ out the window and ice cold beer sittin’ in the console. I’m basically all alone up there, on an old dirt road with no cell phone service, no internet and no traffic. Up the mountain I’m a goin’. All of a sudden, even though I had the truck in 4-wheel drive, I get a funny feeling. Something isn’t right. I’m losing traction in the snow. I finally come to a stop and start sliding backwards. I slide down into a deep ditch. WTF? I’m in 4-wheel drive. What’s going on? Oh, maybe the tire company released my front hubs (I always buy trucks that allow me to release the front hubs so that I can be in 2-wheel drive in the summer). That must be the problem. So I get out of the truck to lock the hubs and… uh oh. They are covered by steel caps. The tire company installed them over my lockers. The caps don’t unscrew. You can’t get them off unless you jack up the truck and pull the wheels and my truck is in a ditch. I’m in cotton sweatshirt, at 9,000 feet above sea level, without my tool case or emergency bag (didn’t put them in the truck yet), in a snowy ditch, stuck in 2-wheel drive. I figure I’m dead. Killed by a tire mechanic. So I get the tire iron out (the only tool I have), lay on my back in the snow, and just start smashing and digging away at the steel caps until I could slip my hand in the hole and put the truck back into 4-wheel drive. I cut my hand all up in the process. Jumped in the truck and drove on out. Interior all covered in mud and blood.

did You take that tire iron back to the tire shop with You ?

LOL!

Should have bought a Dodge!!! Good documentation of what not to buy. I have always hated that design and my friends that had Fords would say the same thing in the era of the locking hubs VERSES shift on the fly.

This has been provided to explain the difference.
http://www.brakeandfrontend.com/Article/46344/fordwheeling_rearwheeldrive_4x4_operation.aspx
Let’s discuss the 4x4 operation on Ford truck platform vehicles. We’ll cover the operation of the parts on the various rear-wheel-drive 4x4 systems. When it comes to Electronic Shift On the Fly (ESOF) and Manual Shift On the Fly (MSOF), much is the same except with MSOF, the driver has to manually push a gear shifter in the floor that is connected by rods to the shift fork inside the transfer case. With shift-on-the-fly four-wheel drive, the vehicle does not need to be stopped and placed into neutral to make the selection between 2x4 and 4x4H. The benefits of this for the driver are that they don’t have to get out and lock in hubs at the wheels, and that they are able to maintain momentum of the vehicle to help them get through a situation.
With ESOF, the driver is given either a dial-type switch or push buttons to select 2x4, 4x4H and 4x4L. The driver must actively command 2x4, 4x4H or 4x4L to engage. For A4WD, the driver has a choice of setting dependent on year and model. Some offer 2x4, A4WD, 4x4H and 4x4L, while some exclude the 2x4 setting and only offer A4WD, 4x4H and 4x4L.
To achieve ESOF, the control module watches for input from the four-wheel-drive mode selector switch. The control module in charge of the system will vary depending on the year and model of the vehicle. The control model in command can be the GEM module, the PCM or a dedicated 4x4 module.
A4WD operation can be achieved either electronically by a control module watching speed sensor inputs and automatically engaging 4x4, or this can be done mechanically using a viscous coupling.

I like the ability to unlock the hubs. Saves on fuel.

True! but not worth my knuckles Nick.LOL

…but, I seem to remember reading in another thread that you ‘drag them’ anyway, so what’s the diff? :shock:

:mrgreen:

You are funny Jeffrey! But Scott has that all wrapped up in his profile on facebook.LOL

I’m not sure I would call that a “funny” story, but I’ll remember it for sure.
Can we see the whole truck now? :smiley:

I think we might be in a heap of trouble this winter.

I’m ready.

IMG.jpg

I’m ready too. I can’t wait to be up all night plowing snow and drinking coffee. It’s so much fun.

Yes sir, that is lots of fun.

Now, let’s see you snow plowing beautiful beast…please? Post some pics… :smiley:

The first month or so is great, nice light fluffy snow,lots of room to put it,snow banks are soft. By mid January’s when they’re as hard as rocks and 12 feet high and I’m out doing removal with a tri axle dump truck and back hoe, during the day and plowing at night throw a few inspections in the mix and I’m ready for spring. First year plowing with this new truck. Blizzard power wing plow, 9.5 ft extended should work good.