Anyone know what this is?

I haven’t seen this before, couldn’t identify it. Any help would be appreciated. Also depending on what it is, is the open end of the short pipe a concern?

I’m guessing a pressure gauge or regulator was previously installed where short galvanized pipe is. Not much help…but a start.

Mueller makes regulators but was that active /gas or water ?

My guess would be a vaccum break.

It’s an active water line, the main valve is to the right of this thing in the first photo.

I thought it was a urinal for men that could aim streight.
Well maybe I will have better luck with the next one.

And water supply is from bottom of this thing?