Strange configuration adjacent to main shut-off

I apologize for marking up the photo, but I wanted to try to anticipate any follow-up questions. During an inspection today, I saw this odd layout as I followed the supply line (Blue arrows) up from the shut-off valve through the pressure regulator (green circle blob) and into the array before going into the wall. Can anyone tell me if they have seen this approximately 20" copper loop extension (the entire yellow circle) before? What purpose does it serve and is it something to alert a client to? Lastly, what about the bypass tube (red circle)? If it matters, I’m in sunny Southern California.

Before anyone says anything about it, I would also not recommend hanging a heavy hose from the entire complex, but I’m going to first focus on the thing I know nothing about. Thanks in advance, as any insight would be highly appreciated!

Brad Jorban

Edit: included location

1 Like

Welcome Brad. Any chance you have a photo without the hoses in the way?

2 Likes

I wish I did, but as soon as I felt the weight of the hose, I got anxious about removing it. Sorry. It’s why I tried to use the arrows to indicate what I saw.

Agree… but since you don’t, how about sharing the raw untouched photo? Some of your markings are blocking what may be a clue. Would be nice to zoom in various areas to compensate for no “hose-less” pic.
Honestly, some of your markups are confusing and contradicting what my eyes and brain are telling me.

1 Like

Maybe the arrows should be going in the opposite direction? Just a thought.

2 Likes

I completely understand. I thought that this picture might be easier to see the section in question, but if you think the original photo, minus all my scrawling, would be preferable, please let me know.

I’m really impressed and grateful at the speed in which this community is coming to help. Thanks again!

2 Likes

It’s certainly possible that I was not thinking clearly about it, but does the direction of the water impact what the long copper loop does? I’d be eager to hear your thoughts on its purpose either way. Thanks, Scott.

Me’thinks I need all the info I can get. :wink:
That hose to the left of the pressure valve really f*cks up the available info!

1 Like

I only see some identifiable components. Pressure regulator, pressure relief valve, a shut-off, those two saddle valves, and a hose bib. Am I missing anything?

1 Like

Yeah… the home is in CALIFORNIA!!

3 Likes

I think I am getting cancer just looking at it. The only visible tag is likely a Prop 65 warning label.

4 Likes

Pressure at this hose bib, before the regulator, was 85psi. On the other side of the house, it was 45.

1 Like

I lived in SoCal for 10 years in the 80’s. I used to install safety devices on the NG meters, but don’t recall anything related to water… back then. I know times change, and am curious if this may be related to the water and a seismic safety device?

1 Like

You are missing nothing, except better pictures. I have others, but they don’t offer better angles. So sorry!

2 Likes

That’s entirely fair and accurate. Except, I have never seen this before on ANY house, and I’ve lived in many parts of the country. I am starting to take comfort in knowing that it is not something common in other regions, though…

1 Like

This house was built in '87, but if this is a seismic requirement, it sure feels like it would be more common, right?

2 Likes

I do see a defect. The saddle valves and the related “jumper hose” are not exterior rated. I am sure the client will appreciate my hard-nosed inspecting and insight. :wink:

1 Like

I’m actually pretty sure that saddle valves aren’t supposed to be used anywhere in California.

1 Like

Any idea what this is?

Looks familiar, but out of place.

20220614_091723

1 Like

Spray nozzle?

1 Like