Anyone see Termite Flashing used?

At the bottom of vinyl siding, does anyone see termite flashing being used, especially in recent construction?

http://www.buildingscience.com/bsc/designsthatwork/mixedhumid/profiles/atlanta.htm

I need to be enlightened. I have never heard of termite flashing. I can guess and imagine what it might be. Down here we treat the ground and try not to have earth to wook contact.

In the link provided in my message, an image by the Building Science Corporation shows the termite flashing in the lower left of the image, just below the bottom of the siding.

Enlightment:

M. Wood Siding at Grade This detail illustrates one method of flashing wood siding at grade. The top edge of the flashing is lapped by the building paper at least 4". The bottom edge is locked into a continuous 20 oz. copper edge strip which is attached to a wood watertable.
A copper termite shield may be required between the wood structure and the concrete or masonry.

Termite Barriers

If you are living in any of the areas of the United States where a threat of termites exists, and if you are using exterior rigid foam insulation on slabs, then you should consider using one or more termite barriers to reduce the probability of termite infestation. Termite barriers do not guarantee a termite free home. Chemical treatments can be effective if they are maintained - even the longest lasting work for only about 5 years. Termite barriers can be broadly categorized as physical - where some material is placed in their path to impede their movement into the structure, and as chemical - where chemicals are used under and/or around the home to repel or kill the termites.
Physical Barriers

Physical barriers that offer varying degrees of protection include:

• Termite flashings that provide a physical barrier between the foundation and the wood structural elements.

• Waterproof membranes that are designed to also perform as termite barriers.

• Aggregate mixtures used under and around the foundation that are virtually impenetrable by termites.

• Stainless steel meshes that are impenetrable to termites.
    At this time, the most practicable physical barriers in terms of cost and simplicity of installation are termite flashings. Although flashings may not prevent termites from getting to the wooden structural members of a home, properly installed flashings will force termites to the outside of the home, where their tunnels can be detected. Flashing details for exterior foam insulation on slabs can be found in the following:

• http://www.southface.org and type “Insulating Foundation” in the Search box. Two useful documents will be listed. Insulating Foundation shows details for all types of foundations. Slab Insulation is a Technology Fact Sheet developed for the US Department of Energy that deals specifically with slabs.

• http://www.eere.energy.gov/buildings/building_america/pdfs/babp_tradescrafts.pdf

http://www.toolbase.org/Design-Construction-Guides/Foundations/docs/images/acrobat.gif

gives design details for foundation insulation provided by the Building America Program.
A number of materials are available for termite flashings. However if an ACQ-treated sill plate is used, and if the flashing comes in contact with that sill plate, then copper or stainless steel will avoid corrosion due to galvanic action. Standard 16 ounce copper sheeting, as used for other flashing purposes may be used. There are also a number of flashings comprised of thin (e.g. 3 ounce) copper, laminated to other materials that are offered specifically as termite flashing. These include:

• YorkShield from York Manufacturing,
  • Cop-R-Shield from Advanced Building Products Inc., and
  • Copper flashing from Amerimax Home Products, Inc. is listed as a termite flashing.
    Also, a polyethylene film-based product from Polyguard, developed for use in insulating concrete forms, is approved by ICC-ES for termite applications. In addition, a stainless steel mesh material, Termimesh, developed specifically for termite protection, is a possibility.
    Physical Termite BarriersAggregate Barriers

Hope this helps.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Learned about it in architecture school never seen it installed.

i’ve never seen it used in the north east. the metal shields i’ve seen drawn would be a thermal conductor and an issue in the colder climes.

There was termite flashing on on of the draws I did. I just remember noting it’s existence and thinking, hmmm…good idea.

Frank

I haven’t seen galvinized termite flashing used regularly, for 25-30 years. I still see existing flashing on the older homes.
The times I have seen it recently, it’s being used on Log/Log-sided Homes. Not on any regular basis, but occassionally.

A contractor working with my client said that “Termits will not touch copper”. Is this true?
Thanks

True, Termites hate copper. I have used copper as a termite shield before, but have not seen it lately. Just make sure it doen’t touch the anchor bolts, yea know dissimilar metals don’t mix, especially steel and copper.