Anyone using an Appointment Questionnaire?

Hello!

I am new to the industry and will soon be in the market, so be gentle! I have searched through the NACHI website and forums, but cannot find any template for booking appointments. Does anyone have one that includes what I think would include key questions to frame the scope of the job? For example:

• Any known defects or damage that should be avoided?
  • Are there any pets or other hazardous items that could present a danger during the inspection?
  • Are there any systems that are not online (i.e. damaged, winterized, etc.) that should be avoided?

This are just a few that I have thought of. I realize that if the Seller is present, these may be unneccessary, but I would expect that’s not always the case. Is there something like this before I create my own? I would rather benefit from the knowledge in this group!

Thank you!

I made a work order form to gather info
Name
Address
Buyers agent and co
Sellers agent and co
Most number
Year bot. Sq footage
Occupied or vacant. Utilities on or off
Slab p&b mobile. Lot number
Client attending yes or no time
Day. Time. Date. Of inspections
Total quote
Key available at

On the back I have my pricing schedule and cost of ancillary inspections. This makes pricing quick and easy. I size these for a half sheet of paper to keep size down. The other things you were thinking of can be worked in however I have found these things don’t help me any these things should be given to you when you book the inspiration however that works in your area. Hope this might help after you get going you will modify to fit you

I find 1/2 the time the Real Estate agent or the person calling has little to no clue about the home.

I’ve been told the home is on slab, to find it has a crawl. I’ve been told it has a crawl, only to find a slab. I’ve been told all utilities are on, only to find the gas meter isn’t even installed. I’ve been told it’s vacant only to find it fully furnished.

All I care about is the address, what time, approximate square footage, and if the home has a pool or not.

And even then, as long as I have an address, I can look up square footage and look for a pool.

Ian (above) hit the nail on the head. People give you some facts and 30% of the time they are wrong. I have been doing almost 900 inspections for the past 15 years. As a licensed builder and past industrial project manager I have seen many problems that if people could read into the future could be avoided. (Get the picture?) You will never know what you will run into no matter how many questions you ask.

My pricing structure is to divide homes into 3 age groups: 1995 to present; 1964 to 1994; and 1963 and older. The newer groups I charge slightly less the older groups have more issues, the middle group may or may not have aluminum wiring, lead paint, asbestos, etc.
Then I group all by square feet: up to 1,200; 1,201 to 1,700; 1,701 to 2,400; 2,401 to 3,100…and so on.
Then across the top I list 1-bath; 1.5 to 2.0 baths; 2.5 to 3.5 baths; 4.0 to 5.0 baths. This gets me into the ball park range.
Then finally I charge extra for 2’nd furnace, finished basements w/ wet bars or 2’nd kitchens there, 3 car and larger garages, crawl spaces take longer than same size unfinished basement; docks, seawalls; boat hoists, pole barns, radon testing, lead testing, mold testing, wells, septic tanks, etc.\

If the client is a first time home buyer pinching pennies and the home is vacant (not occupied) I may give a deduct. If home is smaller in size and does NOT have a garage and is occupied I always ask “how much stuff is there?” If sellers are HORDERS, it will take me a lot longer.
Finally, I always give a time frame…IE- it will take me 2 to 3 hours on sight. I hate to be rushed on larger older homes. Be honest.
Hope this helps.
BTW- In Michigan, this time of year, vacant homes that are winterized mess me up a lot. Many banks have the de-winterizing crews show up the same time you schedule the inspection and you wait (waste) an hour or so on them. Allow for that or get a promised time to start. or wear warm clothes.