Flex vs. hard gas hookup to dryer

Should a gas dryer have a flexible hose for the final hookup (like a gas range) or should it be solid piped all the way to the dryer?

It seems like you might want some flexibility, for example if the washing machine next to the dryer were to “walk” and bump dryer over a bit. Is there a code requirement here?

Manufacturer instruction require it for proper install.

Appliances should be attached to the gas piping with a listed appliance connector. There are exceptions, but most codes require appliance connectors at all appliances.

The instructions seem to be requiring that the hose from the gas hookup to the appliance be a flexible hose rated for gas. Are they specifically requiring that you use a flexible hose?

In other words, are you pretty confident that the codes forbid someone using only hard piping between the gas feed and the dryer?

Since we do not deal specificaly with code , I would suggest it as a good safety precaution.
A dryer has lots of vibration and I do know for a fact that it is required in California as I saw that while looking at info for you.
Is there easy access to the unit.?
What is the material transition.? Black pipe to Brass? Arre they the proper looking bushings and connectors.
Can they disconnect the dryer vent and clean it without needing a pipe wrench?
Look it may or may not be code near you , but common sense suggests a flex connector in most cases.At least in regaurd to a movable appliance.
How can you level it ?


In our area, stoves, dryers and other movable gas appliances MUST be connected with listed flex (stainless, with either a yellow or gray (older) plastic covering).

Water heaters, furnaces, and other non-movable gas appliances MUST be connected with black pipe (they don’t allow copper around here).

You should take the People’s Energy course. A whole lotta good info.

Hope this helps;

“Hoses” are not allowed.

Will ,I am sure you did not mean to come across as condensending. I am here to help Nathen.
.I am aware of the course you mention, but not sure how it helps Nathen.
Is Nathen subject to Chicago area code?
I do not see an indication of where he is from.
Chicago requires a smoke detector be 15 feet from the bedroom door , yet you recommend them in the room do you not.
Chicago code has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.
My advise stands as good advise.

The subject is Gas Dryer.

Sorry if I came off that way. Not my intention.

Sorry, “flexible connector”.

No problem buddy, you have always been a big help.and my business is growing.
Having a big week.
Nathan sorry to get off subject.

There are rubber-hoses listed for natural gas and propane, but none that are listed for indoor, residential applications. I was just clarifying that point.

That I can believe as I used rubber hose on my glass torches for 20 years with no problems.

Our local gas conveyance co. and every other that serves mid US that I have checked (18 so far) require a flexible connection to a unit that can be moved. Units that are stationary must be connected with iron pipe. The flexible connector must be rated for the specific application.

Okay, the plumber said the reason for the hard pipie is that a dryer moves too much. According to him, the dryer could move too much and cause the flexible connector to fail. A stove is moved infrequently and therefore the hookup wouldn’t be strained.

Personally, this explanation sounds ridiculous. If a dryer moves so much that a flexible connector would fail, wouldn’t a hard connection CERTAINLY fail?
Any plumbers out there who can comment? Unfortunately, it looks like he’s going to be reluctant to change it.

I think the guy that told you this is really an Electrician. :wink:

The plumber’s an idiot, or he thinks you’re an idiot. Either way, he’s wrong.

Gee… maybe the black pipe can hold the dryer in place.

](,) ](,)


If you list your location a local may be able to help you with code.
Jeff is certainly correct in his assessment of your “plumber”. Perhaps you can get a second opinion from another (licensed) plumber.
Your local utility company may be able to help too.


edit I gotta start looking at the dates befre I reply end edit