Appliance connector in crawl space

Found this today under a modular home. The manufacturer’s instructions don’t specifically say “hey dummy, do not install in crawl spaces.” But it is supposed to be viewable for periodic inspection. And it is supposed to have a shutoff valve directly in front of it.

041806 079.jpg

Not allowed unless it’s connected to an appliance (hence, the name). It would also require a shutoff valve at its supply side.

But you already knew that :wink:

I knew it could not pass through walls. I also knew this didn’t look right. Stopped by Lowes and read the manufacturer’s instructions. If anyone is interested, the instructions are also here:

http://dormont.com/dmc/uploadedFiles/res/ResourceCenter/RES_instructions.pdf

Can these appliance connectors be used at gas furnaces in crawl spaces, assuming a gas shutoff is directly in front of it? The manufacture says the connector is “not to be concealed”. Seems like a crawl space would meet the definition of being concealed.

In the attached photo, there is no gas shutoff, but otherwise is it OK to be in a crawl space?

061306 120.jpg

good info thanks Joe . Roy cooke sr

A crawl space is no more concealed than an attic. We see them there all of the time. They are generally considered “accessible” in crawls and attics.

Concealment is generally referring to areas where there is no access, such as within wall cavities and such.

Those can not pass through equipment cabinets either.
I called the manuf. about that before and they agreed.

Code check has it under 2422.1.2

Thanks for the Link.

Where I plumbed this would be illegal. It would have to be either black iron or an improved flexible gas line such as Gastite. It had to have easy access and a crawl space or attic was not considered easy access.

Guess I better call the AHJ. I’ll let you know what I find out.

I knew it could not pass through walls. I also knew this didn’t look right. Stopped by Lowes and read the manufacturer’s instructions. If anyone is interested, the instructions are also here:

http://dormont.com/dmc/uploadedFiles…structions.pdf

according to these instructions the gas connector should be in the same room as the appliance…so would this being in the crawlspace be illegal?

Harold, the original post, the first picture, is definitely incorrect. My 2nd question about using them in a crawl space when the appliance is also in the crawl space meets the rule you reference. I have yet to call the AHJ because there are some conflicting opinions amoung our local experts.