Are Yellow Page ads worth it?

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have three yellow page ads in different towns. I track where my referrals come from by asking the client, sometime during our conversation, where they heard about me.

So far I've had one person say "Yellow Pages." Unfortunately, that was back when I just gave them the price. He thanked me, hung up, and I never heard another word.

What has been your experience?

Erby

Originally Posted By: jmyers

NO.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: gbell

DITTO

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

What we used to do (and Joe Myers can confirm this) when someone asked price right of the bat is say "We are one of the most expensive but if you are looking for a cheap home inspection, I am familiar with all my competitor’s prices and can refer you to the dirt cheapest. Do you have a pen and paper? " The conversation would invariably lead to the caller wanting to know why we charge so much more and what the difference is. DOOR OPEN FOR NICK. Conversation would usually contain me saying “A home inspection is no time to go cheap” etc. Note: When a buyer is price shopping for a home inspection he/she will know all the prices so it has to be true that you are priced high. When I was in the business I always tried to be the highest priced for two reasons: It distinguishes me from my competitors and it makes more money. After I sold my inspection company I don’t think the new owners raised their prices so you can see them at peachinspections.com

Nick

Originally Posted By: jremas

I just talked with an inspector today who said that he gets a lot of business from the yellow pages. He has had the Service_Magic service for about 3 months, only had 3 leads and non of them were any good. So after he paid the fee and $10 per accepted lead, he basically blew over $100. with Service-Magic. Does anyone have any experience with Serive -Magic that is good??

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!!!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

You can get listed on all of the yellow page web sites for free. No need to pay for a listing. But if you want your name in the yellow pages go with the least expensive ad you can get.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Hey Greg,

I would not even consider wasting any money on Yellow page ads. You are better spending that money on direct marketing to those interested parties.

Unfortunately for me, I once paid over $380 a month for yellow page ads and the return was not even close to the cost. Don't let some smooth talking Yellow page ad salesperson fool you into thinking otherwise.

Joe Myers

Hi Joe

I learned that lesson long ago. I didn’t mean that you should have a yellow page ad. Just that if you must get the least expensive that you can. But you can list on the internet yellow pages for free.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: jremas

Except for 1 inspector here locally, the general consensus is to get the minimum or free ad in the yellow pages. Does anyone know if all the different yellow page books have a complimentary free ad?

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: matthew berman

icon_biggrin.gif I use a small ad just for name recognition.sometimes i get the inspection,but mostly just price shoppers. Around here if you are not in the yellow pages your not in business-----matt.

Originally Posted By: Rusty Rothrock

Erby -

I don't do the yellow pages. I'm a one man shop and I just don't have the time during the day (due to my inspection workload and taking calls from Realtors who are scheduling new inspections) to be messing around returning calls to the general public who are looking for price quotes. My suggestion is to spend your time, effort, and money on marketing your services to Realtors. I have all the business I can handle and I have never advertised in the yellow pages.

Having said that however, I do understand that in some parts of the country, one needs to be in the yellow pages to be seen as a legitimate company. As in everything else in life, it's up to your individual situation, do what you have to do.

Regards, Rusty

Originally Posted By: mhenderson

Even tho I dont get too many yellow pages replies,I still do it. Not everybody has computers and not every realtor has my brochures.Any way to advertise I try it..You can be the best inspector in the universe, but if they dont know youre there it wouldnt matter.I even tried using Val -Pak (coupons)once & they mailed out to over 1 million people.I got 3 replies…was it worth it…not really…those inspections hardly paid for the advertising…the best one I did was advertising with the local board of realtors.Every week(usually on Sunday)they(all realtors combined) put out a section of houses available I was the only inspector to do it & it

cost $$$$…They even have a local cable company who has a real-estate channel 3xs a day…3xs a week…15minutes long that runs repeatedly.I will check that out too…You have experiment & see what works…It takes time!

Originally Posted By: dsunday

The general rule of thumb regarding Yellow Pages is that if you DO advertise in the Yellow Pages you need to have the BIGGEST ad.

When a prospective client opens the Yellow pages - they’re shopping - it’s like putting all the shoe stores in the mall next to each other! Who are YOU going to pick? The one with the best window dressing, lowest prices, best selection. The point is ALL of your competition is right there next to you.

I think I read these words of wisdom back in “Guerrilla Marketing” by Conrad Levinson.

Dennis J Sunday

Home Inspection Systems

www.Homeinspectionsystems.com

Brewster, NY 10509

(845) 279-1578

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Guys,

I think you are all doing yellow pages a grave injustice, this publication has helped me out many times, and to that end I still keep a copy on a chain in the smallest room of the house icon_lol.gif

Regards

Gerry

Originally Posted By: dsunday

Igor,

Would you consider offering your ad copy to NACHI members? Something "catchy’ might be what we’re looking for.

I have been thinking about using the local cable scroll during weather forecasts, etc.

Dennis J Sunday

Home Inspection Systems

www.Homeinspectionsystems.com

Brewster, NY 10509

(845) 279-1578

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Glen Spey, NY