Yellow Pages Ads

Originally Posted By: John Murray
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hopefully, today is be kind to the New Guy day! icon_lol.gif

A few questions:

Do yellow pages ads bring in the most business for you HI’s?

If,so what would be #2 besides smozzing with Realtors (if applicable)?

Do you think you could survive (financially) off of a single line and a business card size display ad when starting up your business?

Originally Posted By: dvalley

works for a few Inspectors but I stay away from these expensive useless marketing means.

Realtor marketing is the #1 strategy for HI's.

#2 would be giving your business card to everyone you see, meet or greet.
![](upload://1fKvTDBRGJvgh6iYQRpx7NYSDvV.gif)

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: al

I have never had yellow page ads prior to the one that i got about a month ago,and I dont know why I waited so long.Its not cheap but it does get me an average of 4 additional inspection a week so far,at a cost of about $400.00 a month

Originally Posted By: Kevin McMahon

$400/month!!! icon_eek.gif

My yellow page ad only costs $15/month! of course it’s not real big either!

ABC Home Inspection, LLC

Originally Posted By: tallen

I get zero! from the phone book but,from what I have read on this board it is truly localized.I get all of my biz from refurals.Like the wise man said do a better job for less money and you will get the biz.To be honest I have had 2 calls from the book in 8 mo.Not very cost efective at least for me.

I have put the past behind me,

where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Thanks for all input!

I got a “deal” from my yellow pages for:

1- business card ad

1- 1 inch x 1 inch block

1- “normal line” ad

for $249.00 a month

Since I am richer now than I may be in a year, I think I'll go for it!

Are all phone book ad sales reps incompetent? The ad agency I'm
dealing with (exclusive to the yellow pages) has a problem getting
back to me, wants me to sign illegible faxed contracts, has gotten my business name wrong on paperwork and can't they figure why. ![icon_evil.gif](upload://1gvq2wV2azLs27xp71nuhZOKiSI.gif)

Originally Posted By: dfrend

My biggest source of work besides realtors?

1. Internet - NACHI searches bring me many clients. I have had about 250 hits since joining. Some clients have come from google and my occasional AdWords Campaign

2. Referals: many clients called me because a friend used me. In just six months I have done inspections for one client, then his siter, then her friend, then the original guys friend. One agent of theirs has repeated with me too.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: al

John just make sure its the REAL Yellow pages as there is more than one yellow pages out there

Originally Posted By: hgordon

Of Mind Inspections"

Depending on who you ask that could be a good thing...the onething I know for sure is I have not received ONE call!!!

Be wise...triple spell check, and then for good messure as a Librarian to recheck the spelling!

--
Harvey Gordon
SE Florida NACHI Chapter - President
hgordon@fl.nachi.org

Originally Posted By: bemelander

John,

I have been doing inspections for three years now. My calls come from;

1. Realtors

2. NACHI

3. Past clients

I have a bold listing only, because of my area it’s in three books. Total cost is $35.00.

I have received two calls because of the yellow pages. But I think it is important that you are in the Yellow pages, just not a large add.

Bill

Anchor Home Inspections

bill@anchorinspections.com

al wrote:
John just make sure its the REAL Yellow pages as there is more than one yellow pages out there

Thanks Al,
To my understanding it is the "real" yellow pages!

hgordon wrote:
Be sure as it has been said that you are going into the REAL yellow pages and not some "independant" book.

My Yellow Page rep really messed mine up! Over the phone I said to him, "add the tag line Peace Of Mind Inspections"...to which when all the yellow pages came out I read:
"PIECE Of Mind Inspections"

Depending on who you ask that could be a good thing...the onething I know for sure is I have not received ONE call!!!

Be wise...triple spell check, and then for good messure as a Librarian to recheck the spelling!

Were you able to get a discount on your bill with the mistake that they made?

bemelander wrote:
John,
I have been doing inspections for three years now. My calls come from;
1. Realtors
2. NACHI
3. Past clients
I have a bold listing only, because of my area it's in three books. Total cost is $35.00.
I have received two calls because of the yellow pages. But I think it is important that you are in the Yellow pages, just not a large add.
Bill

Sound like a good deal!! ![eusa_clap.gif](upload://vwXJP6EroRUgatgS660IOyuD5XK.gif)
I suppose you don't think that a larger "display" ad would bring in more calls?

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Look at last year’s yellow pages book you want to advertise in. What are most of the other HI’s doing. Follow the pack.

I spend about $16.00 a month for a 1/2 inch ad in one book for a couple of outlying towns and get about 10-15 inspections each year from it. More than pays for itself. (4 Inspector's listed).

I spend $14.00 a month for a one line bold ad in the major metropolitan book and get 2-3 a year from it. 50 some inspectors listed.

$249.00 a month is a Deal??? That's twelve inspections a year just to pay for the ad. or a total of $3000.00 for a year. Seems a bit much to me.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Originally Posted By: jedwards

I’ve found all the discussion on YP ads on the NACHI boards, as well as comments by my HI instructor, very interesting-- and surprising.

In my first HI class last year, the instructor cited his referral streams as follows: 20% from REA's, 20% from YP's, and 60% from word of mouth (he's been working the same market for 17 years, so his word of mouth referrals are probably to be expected).

Most HI's on this board report YP listings to be mediocre, at best.

It's surprising to me because whenever I'm looking for a specialty product or service in my local area, I usually look in the YP's first.

Maybe it's just me. But I won't argue with experience, or fret over the fact that the new local phone books don't come out until December...

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: dbowers

YP ads for many of us are probably mediocre in most areas because of the guardians that are between the customer and us.

The customer calls us, likes what they hear and then call the guardian to schedule our visit. OFTEN the guardian panics because: they don't know you; you have a reputation as being TOO thorough, OR MOST IMPORTANTLY - you're not THEIR guy. So they attempt to talk the customer into going with someone else.

They have many tricks to get that done, so you don't get the job.

In my area (Kansas City), the HI's have had many meetings or conversations over the past 10-15 years over this and only 2-3 of our guys have ever reported having any TYPE of success with YP's.

One of the guys in my area that has had some results with the YP ads runs a 3 1/4" wide by 2 1/2" high three color ad in the KC area YP's. He has done this for 3 years now, and says that the ad runs him about $850 p/mnth. He recently told us that in slow months (Dec, Jan, Feb) the ad does not pay for itself, but that in the summer it usually gets him work.

He said the end result is that it evens itself out over the year, and so far its ended up getting him 2-3 jobs a month over his breakeven. He works a full time job other than HI so that helps him pay for the ad in slow times.

This is my ONLY JOB and I don't think I'd be comfortable with that.

About 10-15 years ago we ran YP's in St. Louis, Columbia & Kansas City. We never got anything good from them. For example, people calling and wanting to know if they could split the $200 (back then) fee up in 2 or 3 payments. YUK!

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I’ve been advertising in YP for almost 10 years. Bold line nets just about as many as a more expensive ad. More times than not if you have a large ad it ends up on another page so it doesn’t receive that much face time. I am getting ready to drop one book completely. Tried it for one year and got zip. Most jobs come from referrals and word of mouth. I’ve had a few times when I ended up doing an inspection for “pert near” everyone in the family.

Another thing…don’t fall for the plastic phone book covers ads either…total waste of hard earned cash. It’s kind of like lobster…no one stops to admire the shell…they go to the insides…learned that one the hard way…

Originally Posted By: dkeough

I do not advertise in the yellow pages, but I do sign up for many of the internet listings. I am currently on six paid ones since the end of January. Homeinspectionlistings.org, homeinspections-usa, homeinspectorlocator.com, respond.com and lendinguniverse.com. It has cost me approx $500 for the listings. I currently have received 18 inspections out of them. I believe that the internet(as does Nick) will drive the home inspection referrals away from the realtors.Garys will be another one as soon as it is up and running

Dave Keough

ecrofutt wrote:
Look at last year's yellow pages book you want to advertise in. What are most of the other HI's doing. Follow the pack.

I spend about $16.00 a month for a 1/2 inch ad in one book for a couple of outlying towns and get about 10-15 inspections each year from it. More than pays for itself. (4 Inspector's listed).

I spend $14.00 a month for a one line bold ad in the major metropolitan book and get 2-3 a year from it. 50 some inspectors listed.

$249.00 a month is a Deal??? That's twelve inspections a year just to pay for the ad. or a total of $3000.00 for a year. Seems a bit much to me.

Seems like a bit much to me, also. If you are just starting out, it may be a good investment to break even on just to get your name out there. I might be wrong on this but, it's the way I feel at this time

Originally Posted By: dkeough

Does anybody else utilize the internet listings. I know eric does, he is on a lot of the sites that I am.