Asbestos question...

----- Original Message -----
To: FastReply@nachi.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:34 AM
Subject: Asbestos

Hi folks,*
Just got a question and don’t know where to go with it. I am a member of a non profit organization/fraternity type, and we are in the process of selling our building. This building is over 5000 sf and the buyer hired an inspector. The report I got a copy of is to say the least in my opinion sub standard and has no pics or explanatory details of findings, just recommendations. There are several things that I can probably sufficiently explain away, but he recommends removal of approximately 300-400sf of asbestos tile that has nothing wrong with it. It’s nonfriable and could easily be tiled over if so desired. What can I tell our buyer to ease their conscious about this and do you have reference material? I remember in my training from inspection depot that if the tile is not damaged and has good adhesion, it’s not a problem. Is this correct?*

• Very Respectfully
    Robert Bracewell @ On the level home inspection.
    Cell (904) 629-2779*
    robert.bracewell@navy.mil

Hello Mr. Bracewell:

Although I am not competent to address the standards of an inspection, per se, I certainly can address the asbestos issue.

Firstly, there is nothing wrong with an inspector recommending removal of asbestos that is in good condition – that is merely a professional discretion call based on one’s philosophy. I have seen very competent asbestos inspectors do the same.

Second – the decision you make will depend VERY heavily on you local and state regulations. In many jurisdictions, removal is mandated, and in many jurisdictions, management in place is encouraged.

In your jurisdiction, the inspector may, or may not be permitted to perform an “asbestos inspection” and his/her comments may be merely qualitative observations.

If the property is, as I suspect, on DOD property, then an whole new set of rules may apply and you may want to contact your CoE personnel for help.

Prudent practices include a wide spectrum of possibilities.

Kindest regards,
Caoimhín P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
www.forensic-applications.com

185 Bounty Hunter’s Lane,
Bailey CO 80421
Office: 303-903-7494
Fiosrach@aol.com

Brother Bracewell,

This is Dave, you may remember me from training.

You have actually stated the exact case I would layout for the buyer. As long as the asbestos does not become friable, there is no cause to remove it. It will actually last a very long time, because it was a very good product (aside from the asbestos). Removing it will actually cause the liability, and would have to be done by a licensed asbestos mitigator. I would refer the purchaser to Michael at Inspection Depot, or one of their other inspectors for a second opinion. That should ease their mind about the product.

And, maybe it’s not the asbestos that’s holding up the sale. Maybe it’s the fraternity type organization they’re buying it from :slight_smile:

By the way, Mike says hi. Email us at ddinspector@yahoo.com (Dave) or delaney64@yahoo.com Mike

Was the tile in fact tested for asbestos?

http://www.epa.gov/region04/air/asbestos/awet.htm
http://www.deq.state.or.us/aq/asbestos/ASBCAB.pdf

Raymond Wand
Alton, ON

Well, Actually I’m waiting on the results from prolab now. I’m not sure if the inspector sampled the tile, it’s not stated in his report one way or another. He just states that it is asbestos tile.Thanks for the reply.

Hi Dave,
Good to hear from you. Thanks for the reply, and I’ll do what you said after I get my test results back from prolab. Hopefully, it won’t be an issue.