Found this around a hat water line in an older home I inspected today. Is this possible asbestos? At first look I was pretty sure it was, then I touched it and it was somewhat soft. Almost a rubbery feel to it.

Any comments are appreciated.


I come across similar stuff off and on. I don’t try to determine if its asbestos, (it probably is though)
I use wording like “asbestos-type material” and “recommend qualified personnel evaluate” in my report

Michael, Thanks for the post. I assumed it must be, I had never seen this type before though.

Thanks again