Asphalt tab shingles VS Fiberglass tab shingles

Originally Posted By: psmothers
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

and fiberglass composition shingles? I have always thought them to be the same thing just one with a cellulose mat and the other with a fiberglass mat. Otherwise they are both impregnated with asphalt and granular surface. The report that I am currently setting up to use in the field has both listed as different choices from roof covering materials.

Foxe Smothers

Originally Posted By: slanguis

Peter, the only way that I am aware of to tell the difference is to look at a cross section of the shingle, you will see the fiberglass strands in a fiberglass composition shingle. icon_smile.gif Hard to tell just by looking after they are installed.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Asphalt Shingles are softer and more flexible than fiberglass shingles, especially in cold weather. They are thicker and more tear-resistant than fiberglass shingles. They also contain more asphalt and nearly always use heavier weight reinforcement than fiberglass shingles of similar weight.

Fiberglass shingles are thinner and more brittle than Asphalt shingles and they show obvious imperfections in the roof deck.

If you?re not sure and you really want to know, just locate an inconspicuous area of the roof, tear off a tiny piece of the shingle edge. If it?s a fiberglass shingle, you?ll see the glass fiber, which looks like fine hair. With the asphalt shingle you?ll see the black saturated mat.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thanks for the tips guys and girls. Does any one use the term composite tab shingle on their report report in order describe both or do you guys guess the best you can between one or the other.

Foxe Smothers

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

my reports have composite/asphalt shingles.

What I would like to know is which is better and which lasts longer?

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

dvalley wrote:
just locate an inconspicuous area of the roof, tear off a tiny piece of the shingle edge.
![icon_eek.gif](upload://yuxgmvDDEGIQPAyP9sRnK0D0CCY.gif)

I think that would be considered vandalism.

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Vandalism?

Please…get real.

Peter,

I always identify both of these shingles as Asphalt shingles. I've never had an issue with the identification as of today. They both contain asphalt, so identifying them as such shouldn't be be big deal.
It's the mat that differs, not the surface coating.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Thanks for the advice guys. I will change mime to read as Asphalt shingles.

Foxe Smothers

Originally Posted By: jpeck

psmothers wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I will change mime to read as Asphalt shingles.

Foxe Smothers

I would make it read "asphalt composition shingles", which is where you started, I believe.

The discussion has been based around the difference between "asphalt" and "fiberglass", that is like discussing the differences between apples and oranges.

First, there are asphalt composition shingles with organic (commonly referred to as felt or rag) mat.

Then there are asphalt composition shingles with inorganic (typically fiber glass) mat.

BOTH are "asphalt composition shingles".

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Jerry’s right on the money. They are Asphalt Composition Shingles. Most shingles produced in the last bunch of years use fiberglass as the mat. And your hands will itch after you cut them if you don’t wear gloves while installing them icon_exclaim.gif