Attic Images for Previous Post

Some Alterations.

mixed nov 17 071.JPG

mixed nov 17 078.JPG

mixed nov 17 080.JPG

mixed nov 17 083.JPG

mixed nov 17 078.JPG

What a stinking mess John, where was this? Looks like a demolitions crew just went by. :):smiley:

and here I was thinking it showed awesome creativity…:shock::shock::shock:

Will someone even attempt to explain what those 2x4 s were supposed to be for?

One bad attempt on someone’s part to Home-made trusses Bob. :):wink:

Hehe
I simply fail to see them supporting anything other than themselves.
Amazing.

The “buyers” and their agent were pressing me to tell them to walk away or submit a bid at the auction. I never tell a client to walk away, just present the findings. When I explained the roof condition, along with the attic rafter/truss mess that would require a structural engineer, they asked to terminate the inspection. The trusses were site built, the attic space was so congested that I really could not observe many structural terminations. Could have spent hours in the attic, the worst I have encountered. I did not even start the interior, or complete the exterior, when the plug was pulled. :slight_smile:

mixed nov 17 087.JPG

John, in a case like that, were you paid in full or was it pro-rated?
Just curious. :slight_smile:

John,

Was there anything about the roof that lead you to believe the trusses we not adequate or properly constructed?

Ya, anything at all?

LOL…:D:mrgreen::smiley:

John, did you post these on Best Defect Award?:slight_smile:

I’d need more than what I see in that pic to call for an SE…

All depends which pic Mike, and what would you recommend? A D-8:mrgreen::wink:

The one in post #7

I rarely call for an SE, but I would have for this home. There were at least 3 additions to the original structure. The roof configuration was unusual as shown in the images on the previous post. The accessable attic space is difficult to describe, have never observed one like it. Extremely congested with HVAC ducts, debris, etc. The number of cut or notched unsupported framing members (mostly site built truss webs) were alarming. A SE would have a hard time understanding the structural layout due to the attic conditions. Certainly, there were areas of the roof structure that appeared to be acceptable. Problems occured at addition connections.

Regarding the fee, the clients decided to terminate the inspection due to roof material and structural concerns. I pro-rated the fee, did not issue a full report. The inspection was far from complete, i would have preferred to continue. There were other issues observed during my initial exterior walk around that would have added to the repair expenses. This was an auction property, no sellers help.

mixed nov 17 084.JPG

mixed nov 17 082.JPG

mixed nov 17 074.JPG

mixed nov 17 076.JPG

mixed nov 17 084.JPG

I really thought you were joking.

Hey “Neighbor”
I think maybe what Michael was getting at is that it is often extremely difficult to determine exactly what prevailing forces will have on a structure without having a total understanding of how wind and gravity forces are being translated through the structural elements. (I believe most structural engineers will take this same approach.)
About the only practical response IMO, would be to state that there appear to be many additions and modifications made to this structure over the years and comment more on trying to identify evidence of problems that may be evident, sagging, finish cracks, leaks etc. Also stress future monitoring and informed structural evaluation of any modifications from this point forward.

From this alone I didn’t see the need for an SE

But the rest John posted are sure a mess.
Good call.:smiley:

I inspected a 37 yr house yesterday that had “homemade 2x4 trusses”, all looked good with it, well, except for needing a new roof, new hvac and new water heater along with the other usual 40+ items.

HVAC is more important than a stinking trusses. Simply cut it out of the way, so the damn house can be conditioned. Don’t worry about the roof structure, it’ll be fine!