Band-aid repairs

Today i did a reinspection for my client. The handi-man that was hired to repair items on my report did not do things that i feel comfortable with. I am concerned about it. Escrow is supposed to close on monday. Any suggestion on how to respond to my client.

Hi Chris,

I would recommend that you indicate specifically and clearly your concerns with what you found… item by item. You were asked to return to the site to document an opinion on the repairs… plain and simple.

In my opinion, time frames should be of no concern to you. I understand where you’re coming from… but when a client hires us should be of no bearing on what is found or how it is communicated.

Chris, your response should be prompt (they dont have time, but you can only control your own response time, not sellers repair time), but honest. If the seller did not repair items properly, you cant sweep it under or call it good enough because there isnt time. Just tell it like you see it.

Thats the only way I’d sleep OK at night.

A perfect example of why not to perform ‘re-inspections’.

Around Stuart, FL, no one wants to hire a prof’l lic’d contractor to do the repairs and provide a proper receipt.

Why would anyone want to get in the middle of the BS and sucked into the drama!?!

My “re-inspections” are simple “work verification consultations” with no written report and no explanation of issues. The client follows me around with pen and paper and we look only at the items that were to be corrected. I will say corrected, not corrected or improper modification - and that’s it.

Exactly what I do also.
I take a few pictures of the crappy repairs just in case they call asking what made them that way to refresh my memory if needed.

Good verbage, as usual.

I wonder what you do if the client cannot be present. Is it a phone conversation while re-inspecting, if possible. And what if not possible?

Thanks.

The client or their agent must be present, and I require the list of repairs prior to the appointment. I print a copy for me and a copy for the client/rep. Next to the item I will pencil in “OK”, “NC” (no change) or “IM” (improper modification) and tell the client/rep to do the same.

I keep my copy.

10-4
Thanks
Do you have the same requirement for one of them to be present at the original inspection?

No, because I’m performing a “home inspection,” and preparing a complete inspection report. Whether they’re there or not makes no difference.

After the initial inspection, I provide “verbal consultations.” If they want a “re-inspection” with an additional report, the fee is the same as the initial inspection fee. In such a case, their presence would not be required.

On Re-Inspections,
I note that some level of Repair was made…
along with a recommedation…

[FONT=Arial]Recommendations:[/FONT]
· [FONT=Arial]Recommend obtaining documentation from contractors providing repair for the availability of any applicable warranties[/FONT]

Thanks for the responses.

Great advice and wording John. Between that and “Call em as you see em” this post is well answered :slight_smile:

All good points guys! Just remember, the client hired you because you are the professional expert. If the repairs are substandard, the client wants you to tell them.

It’s unfortunate that so many sellers hire unlicensed, unqualified “contractors” to make repairs on defects. Most of the time when I do a reinspection, the repairs look like my 10 year old nephew did them.

Write it up professionally and explain that the repairs need improvement to be documented as acceptable.

Andrew Constantine
InspectPro Home Inspections
Serving NC and SC :roll:
Charlotte Home Inspections](http://charlotte-home-inspections.com)

Either demand a re-inspection, or at a minimum get transferable waranty documentation on the work from the LICENSED contractor who performed it.

PS you will almost never get the latter.

If it’s wrong, call it out. No need to be rude, but blunt and profesional is OK.

A good way to handle this is to put in the report a requirement that all work be done by “licensed and insured” or, as in Illinois is the case, “state licensed and insured” contractors to do the repairs. The first thing I do upon re-inspections, is ask for the documentation of the licenseing and insurance (E&O) of the people who did the work. If they (as is usual) not “licensed and insured (E & O)” contractors, I call it as “defective” and call it a day.

If the work is not done by someone else who will assume the liability, I cannot be expected to.

Nuff said!

Wil,
I get that, but how can my report say who needs to fix items. In RI any homeowner can do whatever they choose. The state does license contractors and some trades (electricians and plumbers), but not others.

when I recomend repir I always state by a qulaified licensed pro, but my report isnt directed to make the seller do anything, only the buyer.

In any case contractors in this area will not warranty work for a different owner except in a few cases.

I think you ,issed my point. I know that, as HIs, we can only “recommend”, but if we make our recommendations specific with regards to who should do the work, and it is not done that way, then we cannot “approve” it on re-inspection. The client has the responsibility to make sure that the owner has the work done professionally, with documentation. Is this 100% foolproof? No. But it mostly works.

If they hire a cheap-a**ed handyman, then you get what you pay for, or what you DON’T pay for.

Hope this helps;

I agree in a perfect world that would happen. And certainly if I’m hired to do a re-inspect in defects, I want them done right (and many times they are not) or I will state that the repair was done improperly. Some repair men get pissed, I’ve had conversations with some, and my answer is always. I always reccomend licenced (or in RI registered ) contractors, as this afords the most protection against shoddy work. Some handy man can simply not answer the phone and you may not have much recourse to make it right.

A. you are not my client,
B. if it is in fact done properly, you won’t mind putting it in writing and standing behind your work then.