Basement Ceiling Joist Mold?

Originally Posted By: Jeffrey Lewis
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I am getting ready to buy a house and the inspector found a mold or fungus on several of the basement ceiling joists. I looked at today and most of them are not near a pipe or any type of moisture source. Also, the sub floor above is completely clean. It seems that this was construction mold.

My Plan: I plan on having the seller get this remediated and perform an air sample test before and after. Does this sound like the right thing to do? Also, how do I make sure they use someone reputable?

Thanks for your help.

Here is a picture.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/D/DSCN1302.JPG ]

Originally Posted By: dspencer

You can see 2x material like in photo being sold by lumbers yards and Home Centers everyday. Also not properly covered during construction…The inspector should determine materials moisture content and evaluate it from a date it was installed and have a recommended method of remedy and cause… a least that’s the way I report a finding like this icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: whandley

Deleted

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

Hay will, read the kids first post he is the client. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: whandley

Wow! That does change things. Well, lets try this again. If I’m representing the Buyer, I advise him/her to hire the mold inspector as part of their due diligence. Assuming the report comes back positive for mold and remediation is required, I would throw that ball back to the Seller’s side of the court, with the assistance of your licensed real estate agent of course. In the absence of that independent inspection and results, why would the Seller be willing to pay for remediation of something that, as yet, has not been verified as being a problem by an expert in that field of expertise.

My apologies for being asleep at the keyboard. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: Jay Moge

da’ nada icon_cool.gif