Bath - No Shower!

Besides looking funny, is there functional issue with having a tub fixture with a diverter when there is no shower?

noshower2-400.jpg

Nope…not unless there is an uncapped “shower” pipe behind that wall.:wink:

Rick I bet you thought about that one later and slapped your forehead.

Pulling the diverter and stopping the water has the same effect as turning the handles to off.

Same 40 pounds of pressure or what ever the pressure is on the pipes when going no where.

That’s what I was afraid of…lol
Didn’t squirt through the wall when I stopped it!:mrgreen:

Yeah, I did while I was posting.
Just looked so strange while I was there. I pulled it up for a second really thinnking I would see/hear/feel the water coming through! :shock:

Well at least the spigot didn’t shoot across the tub when you stopped the water—:smiley:

Why be afraid of it? If I had this set-up, I’d have no problem testing the diverter anyways. If water starts squirting inside the wall cavity, then it failed upon testing.

Real simple…

Having come across this condition during many of my property renovations, I discovered three things:

1 - Installation usually is done by a home owner.
2 - The cap on the pipe that should run up to the shower head quite often is simply a loose piece and not soldered on because it is not meant to stay in place. It is meant to be removed when the shower head pipe is added.
3 - Although subjected to the same 40 psi (or higher) as if turning the handles off, because the cap is not permanent, it can, indeed, become loose.

When I find this condition (which is often in my pre-WWII neighborhoods), I warn my Clients not to use the shower diverter and, if they have children, to replace the faucet with a standard faucet absent shower diverter.

One could definitely say that the shower diverter does not function as intended since its intent is to send water up to the shower head; without a shower head, there is no function. For me, that’s a “Duh!”, and since I’m looking at things that either do or don’t function as intended, I notify my Clients when I find something that does not.

My attorneys, E&O provider, and I imagined what could happen without educating my Clients about this condition: a small leak from the loose cap, which water building up in the wall, not a lot, just a little, but enough to cause mold to start growing in there, similar to what happened at Ed McMahon’s house up in L.A. many years ago. Not interested in getting involved in any mold lawsuits.

The only place getting new pressure is the joint at the T section.
Writting it up as a defect would be overkill.

I suppose you could throw it into the report as a mention to cover your backside.

My comment…

"*Tub faucet has diverter without shower head attached. While the diverter is not **needed in this instance, nor should it affect the operation of the faucet, I recommend not using the *diverter to stop the flow of water from the tub faucet."

Looks good to me Rick

I see those a lot here. No issue as I can see, but I do advise the homeowner.