Battery backup sump pump

Originally Posted By: rkulla
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

When a battery backup is added to an existing sump discharge line, does the backup discharge line need a check valve of it’s own? In the home I inspected today the backup was T’d into the main line above the main check valve. I think without a check valve of its own it would allow back fill into the basket threw the battery backup. If the exterior line ever froze up it could possibly flood the basement. I think it needs it’s own check valve in this case.

Rex Kulla

Custom Home Inspections

Maple Grove, MN

(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: lkage

a check valve.

“I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn’t learn something from him.”

Galileo Galilei

I talked to my local city inspector. He stated it’s not code but would be a good idea.

Rex Kulla

Custom Home Inspections

Maple Grove, MN

(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: rcooke

rkulla wrote:
I talked to my local city inspector. He stated it's not code but would be a good idea.

My Directions called for a 3/16 hole above the check valve so the line drained after pump down so there was no water in the line to freeze.
You should have a check valve on both lines if you have a single discharge outside or the water can just go in a circle.
I am on town water so I put in a water powered sump pump cost about $60.00 no maintenance like a battery system

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

The only problem with a water powered unit is you have to be there to turn it on, much like a generator. It won’t do you any good if your not home to turn it on. Generators give you a false sense of security unless you have good neighbors that will go in your garage & fire it up for you when your out of town.

Rex Kulla

Custom Home Inspections

Maple Grove, MN

(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: rcooke

rkulla wrote:
The only problem with a water powered unit is you have to be there to turn it on, much like a generator. It won't do you any good if your not home to turn it on. Generators give you a false sense of security unless you have good neighbors that will go in your garage & fire it up for you when your out of town.

Wrong they have a float switch just like your electric sump pump does .

Be Happy Join Nachi

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: Michael D Thomas

Water powered backup sump pump - new to me, anyway.

http://www.radonseal.com/pumps/water-powered-pumps.htm

Thanks!

Good info, Thanks

Rex Kulla

Custom Home Inspections

Maple Grove, MN

(612) 799-3093