Be sure to identify this as a defect!

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Yes, the lampholder is not allowed to be installed in a clothes closet.

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: jedwards

I write ‘em up in attics and crawls all the time. If a 6’ tall person standing up could hit his/her head on the bare bulb in tight quarters, it’s dangerous. Code be damned-- it’s dangerous-- and I’m not licensed or certified as a code inspector, anyway, and disclaim myself accordingly.

I'm trying to keep people from getting hurt or killed. If that makes me a "poor" or "substandard" home inspector, then so be it.

--
John Edwards
Assurance South, LLC home page
Pre-Paid Legal Services

Originally Posted By: gporter

Great info. Thank you.

Gary Porter

GLP’s Home and Mold Inspections LLC

Orlando, Fl 32828

321-239-0621

www.homeandmoldinspections.com

Originally Posted By: joetedesco

Does anyone know of any fires caused by these lampholders?

![icon_surprised.gif](upload://57CELbNgOav4I8DdysEp4jSUiyx.gif)

--
Joe Tedesco, Massachusetts
Home Inspector Provider
www.joetedesco.org
necmeister@gmail.com

www.nachi.org/tedesco.htm
www.nachi.org/tedesco2.htm
www.nachi.org/illinoislicense.htm
www.nachi.org/jtarticles.htm

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: rwand1

Well I agree these maybe a fire concern the fact is many older homes have them installed in closets.

I am not arguing the fact they may be a safety issue, but just how many safety items are we to start calling out in home inspections? The SOP do not cover safety items. If you list safety items how many more do you list? Do you also call out stove anti-tip brackets as well? Do you call out the lack of safety glass in a 40 year old shower door or sliding door?

If we are, as some indicated calling out safety items should there not be an SOP for safety items?

No offence Joe, just speaking aloud (I do that quite often). I sometimes wonder if we as inspectors are trying to be all things to all people. We take on an incredible amount of liability as it is just following the SOP. Are we as inspectors changing the standard of care of the profession and silently changing the SOP as we evolve?

--
Raymond Wand
Alton, ON
The value of experience is not in seeing much,
but in seeing wisely. - Sir William Osler 1905
NACHI Member
Registered Home Inspector (OAHI)
http://www.raymondwand.ca

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

I worked as a firefighter for 32 years and have seen some fires and near fires caused by storage on the shelves being too close the the closet light bulb. Often the problem occurs when someone goes off for the day and leaves the closet light on. Always talk about these situations in my report and provide some recommendations

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Ray;

Our state SOP (Illinois) requires that we call out all safety hazards and even defines them in the law as 'significantly deficient'.

I call these out. I also call them out if theu are in basements or garages because the bulb is unprotected.

If one does not call them out (outside of Illinois) and a fire happens, there goes you E & O when the firemen call them out.

Hope this helps.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Quote:
I am not arguing the fact they may be a safety issue, but just how many safety items are we to start calling out in home inspections? The SOP do not cover safety items. If you list safety items how many more do you list?

Do you also call out stove anti-tip brackets as well?

Yes

Do you call out the lack of safety glass in a 40 year old shower door or sliding door?

Yes

Smoke alarms: Yes
G.F.I. protection, the lack of it: Yes

FPE Panels: Yes.

All of the above are safety items and most inspectors make note of them.

Quote:
If we are, as some indicated calling out safety items should there not be an SOP for safety items?

No offence Joe, just speaking aloud (I do that quite often). I sometimes wonder if we as inspectors are trying to be all things to all people. We take on an incredible amount of liability as it is just following the SOP. Are we as inspectors changing the standard of care of the profession and silently changing the SOP as we evolve?

We are not trying to be all things to all people. What I do is try to find as many incorrect or safety items as possible.

The Sop is a starting point. It can be exceeded. Here is South Florida, many inspectors exceed the Sop. If you want to get into a "standard of care" issue, if 51% of the inspectors in your area do something,say write up anti-tip brackets, you might want to consider doing the same thing. Ask the inspector in California who got sued for $4 million and lost over it.
That case has now set a president. If it were to happen elsewhere, your proverbial goose would be cooked!

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Bye, Joe.

Home Inspection Services of Missouri

www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif You and Aaron have the same IP number, Joe. Who are you trying to kid?

www.monachi.org

Besides, anyone named “Aaron” would be able to spell his own name correctly. icon_lol.gif

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: bkelly1

jbushart wrote:
![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) You and Aaron have the same IP number, Joe. Who are you trying to kid?

Nachi Police on the scene. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Yoda (The empire Strikes Back)

jbushart wrote:
Besides, anyone named "Aaron" would be able to spell his own name correctly. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--

jbushart wrote:
Besides, anyone named "Aaron" would be able to spell his own name correctly. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Web Images Groups News Froogle LocalNew! more ?

Advanced Search
Preferences

Web Results 1 - 10 of about 4,090,000 for aron. (0.06 seconds)

Sponsored Links

Find This Person
Get current and past addresses and
phone numbers. Instant results!
www.peoplefinders.com

Motivational Speakers?
Find a great motivational speaker
search by topic or area here
www.FindAMotivationalSpeaker.com

Aron Packer Gallery
Visit Aron Packer's Virtual Gallery. View current exhibits, preview upcoming
events, and read about Aron Packer's past curatorial projects.
www.aronpacker.com/ - 7k - Oct 12, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

Aron's Israel Peace Weblog
Extensive blog by Aron Trauring reports and comments on the issues of occupation,
the settlements, the Israeli Army, war crimes and the connection with ...
www.israelblog.org/ - 42k - Oct 12, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

Aron Nelson's Stompbox page
An archive of schematics, links, resources, and a message board for subjects
related to effects and electronics.
www.diystompboxes.com/ - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

The Highly Sensitive Person
photo of Elaine Aron Dear Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) ...or anyone raising a
highly sensitive child (HSC),. Welcome to this website. ...
www.hsperson.com/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Parking in Bitterman Circle
First the AOL/Weblines deal and now Winer sells weblogs.com to Verisign. Wow.
The Web 2.0 is on! It's really getting interesting... ...
www.bittermancircle.com/ - 101k - Oct 12, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

Laikin, Aron
Available for special events and from photos, based in New York. Provides samples,
artist biography, pricing and contact information.
www.caricaturist4hire.com/ - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Elvis Aron Presley
Tribute includes film listings, photos, quotes, and trivia.
www.elvisaronpresley.com/ - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

index
All images copyright Aron Ralston, 2000-03, rights restricted. Visit aralston.com for
more information about my book, Between a Rock and a Hard Place, ...
www.geocities.com/aronralston/ - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

ARON SpA - Harmony in Hydraulics - [ Translate this page ]
Produzione e vendita di componenti e sistemi oleodinamici secondo norme Cetop;
www.aron.it/ - 7k - Oct 12, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

Elvis Aron Presley
elvis-aron-presley.nl/ - 2k - Cached - Similar pages

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--

Originally Posted By: Aron Jacobs

jbushart wrote:
![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) You and Aaron have the same IP number, Joe. Who are you trying to kid?

Mr. James Bushart

Just who do you think that you are? Look at your own name when typed in Microsoft Word, it shows it as a misspelled word. Does this mean that you lack intelligence? If you care to debate the NEC on a one on one basis I stand a challenge to you to set the time and we can do it right here.

Now I don?t understand what this deal is between you and Joe but I have never done anything to cause you any harm nor have I made any comment that was derogatory about you so why are you coming down on me like a banshee?

Now if I have done something wrong by joining this forum I do apologize. If it is just that you think that your back side stinks worse that anyone else?s then you have a serious problem and need to seek professional help.

I am open to those who moderate this forum to send me a PM if they don?t want me in here. You have the ability to check my IP address to see if this message is from the same address as this Mr. Joe that you seem to despise with a passion

I pray for your soul Mr. Bushart that you learn to lose this passion of hate you seem to hold for Joe.

--
Aron Jacobs
Electrical Contractor
Electrical Instructor
North Carolina

icon_lol.gif

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: Aron Jacobs

Is that all you have to say?

icon_question.gif

Aron Jacobs

Electrical Contractor

Electrical Instructor

North Carolina

Originally Posted By: fbartlo

Thanks for the info, Joe.

I thought they were OK in closets, but had to be at least a foot above poles and away from shelves where people might stack folded clothes.

We should have a "sticky" thread at the top of this forum for lesser-known safety issues, such as this one, insulation over knob and tube wiring, insulation/recessed light issues, etc.

Originally Posted By: bbadger

rwand1 wrote:
Well I agree these maybe a fire concern the fact is many older homes have them installed in closets.

I am not arguing the fact they may be a safety issue, but just how many safety items are we to start calling out in home inspections? The SOP do not cover safety items. If you list safety items how many more do you list? Do you also call out stove anti-tip brackets as well? Do you call out the lack of safety glass in a 40 year old shower door or sliding door?

Raymond after reading a number of your posts I have to say I would never hire you.

What exactly do you 'call out' and why the heck should I hire a professional if they are not going to point out issues that I as a home buyer may not know about?

I would want to know about the safety glass, the anti tip brackets etc. That along with a 1000 other possible issues is why I would hire an HI.

I would want an HI like Jeff Pope, William Decker etc. I would rather have too much info and then I as the buyer can decide what is and is not an important safety issue.

Quote:
We take on an incredible amount of liability as it is just following the SOP.

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Welcome to being a business owner.

You want to talk liability, I am an electrician, from a liability standpoint I would be better off if I never energized the circuits I install, but that goes with the territory, I chose to be an EC.

You chose to be an HI, part of that is accepting liability.

No offense intended, just my opinion.

Bob

--
Bob Badger
Electrical Construction & Maintenance
Moderator at ECN